Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone love these so much? Whats so special about them? I have only kept reds and I'm thinking about starting a caribe tank. Are they skitterish like reds? Can I walk up to the tank without them huddling tightly together? Do they grow faster than reds? How many adults can I keep in a....125? 150? 180?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I like them just for the fact they will out eat any pygo. They will eat so much that there stomachs look like they have tumors. They get quite thick and very active. They attack anything I drop in the tank.

These are just my observations from my own tank.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
In my opinion.. they are harder to get, less skittish than reds, have bigger appetites, better coloration, and get thicker with age. But then again, its always within the individual fish. A shoal of your Caribas might be timid, while mines can be way aggressive even when from the same parents.

BTW: Same amnount of P's per gallon..

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think most people like the caribe better because their one of the most aggresive piranha, i should say the most aggresive ones.most people buy them anyway to see them kill without mercy. of course they cost more ,more harder to get. caribe are the pit-bulls of the piranha world!

·
18,504 Posts
red devils red said:
caribe are the pit-bulls of the piranha world!
I say Rhoms would be the pit-bulls, RBs would be Wolves, and Caribas like Hyenas.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I also plan on trying some caribe when I get a new tank. I think I was 6 caribe in a 125 would be sweet for my needs. I want some caribe for their coloration...the hemoral spot adds to their color and often times I've seen on their anal fins in some caribe that the part closest to its body is clear while the edges have reddish/orange color.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
cariba due to most being wild will have better colouration than tank raised reds and from what i have heard are a lot more active than reds and a little bit bolder .
cariba will be my next purchase to add to my piraya and reds possibly 1 or 2 and a lot of what has been posted earlier from what i have been told and read is correct ,one thing to remember not all specific types of p's show the same traits, personality differences will come in to the equation
dixon

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
In my experience Cariba grow alot faster than reds, are not nearly as skittish, actually mine never were skittish. They eat alot more and attack food with more ferocity. They are more active but probalby just because they are territorial. They look better in color and have a nicer build.

The con is that they do fight alot over territory.

·
Registered
696 Posts
ferocity, is that a word nate? LOL

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
I´m agree...great color and thickness, less skittish or not at all, more aggresive...you know...

What do you prefer? a Lion or a cat?

·
18,504 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
Bcollins111900 said:
ferocity, is that a word nate? LOL
maybe I spelled it wrong?
I think Nate meant "ferocious". Past tense of fierce.. Present tense of fear. Adverb of... *damn im bored*

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well i've had my caribe for 5 days and i can honestly say they are "beasts" !!
Their colouration is much more vivid than ANY red i've seen. That's what attracted me to them in the first place. However on an aggression scale they are crazy. May help that i have 7, competition between them is intense. They have more than lived up to what i was expecting and being only 3-4", there's more to come. I also like the humeral spot and clear eyes, i only hope i can maintain their colour. The alpha p has an immense head, like a 3rd it's body. The tank is always busy, unlike my rhom tank. I'm happy i stayed with a shoal instead of adding a piraya, which was a possible early choice.
Ta.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
red devils red said:
i think most people like the caribe better because their one of the most aggresive piranha, i should say the most aggresive ones.most people buy them anyway to see them kill without mercy. of course they cost more ,more harder to get. caribe are the pit-bulls of the piranha world!
what!!!? rhoms are the pit bulls bar none pound for pound the meanest in my opioion and experience theyre the roy jones jr of the piranha and/or fish world

110 gallon 2rbp 2", 1 rhom 1"
55 gallon 7" rhom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts