Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday my one fish was acting weird, all he does is sit in the corner top of the tank near the heater, he will not come out. I saw him swimming with the lights off but thats about it. Usually he picks on every one else, but now he won't come out. Any ideas ?

I noticed my two other peacock cichlids have been also acting a little more, whats the word, color full and big, and they seem to be hanging together more, could they be mating or something ?

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
which of your fish is hiding at the top corner of the tank.

this is a classic sign of getting bullied on. usually a fish will seek shelter near the surface away from the territory of the bottom when another fish or fishes are harrassing him beyond his control. i would keep a close eye on behavior before i would think of an illness. the fish comming out at night time further supports my theory.

watch out for aggression. check temp and ensure hes getting food. go from there. iscolate if needed

2,170 Posts
Like ocellatus said, I would keep an eye out for aggression. Your theory may be accurate, most cichlids become more aggressive during mating, and often experience some form of color change. You may have a pair that is getting ready to mate and don't want to have any interferance from tankmates.

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
sounds like you might have 2 males 1 female and the one being bullied is the other male. looks to me like you have a couple pairing off and one left out to dry.

add more females to the group ASAP and it will help distract the alpha male from picking on the betta male. its always better to have trios or MORE but you always must have more females then males.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an al-bino cichlid, only have 1 of those in the tank. He use to bully everyone else, thats whats weird. I have not seen him eat, how do I get him to eat ? Temp is about the same as always. Around 78

1 - 5 of 5 Posts