·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
1 - when you first got p's what was it that attracted you
please list

2 - what are your reasons now that you have them, to keep them and buy more
please list

1 - the reputation and possibly the danger so all in all the myth

2 - i like the fact that they are beautiful creatures with exellent variation in colour that can have such a difference in temprement you just want to understand them

basically i'm hooked

now yours

dixon

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
1) Ever since I saw pictures of them eating a large mammal in a book as a young boy, I was kinda fascinated by these little creatures, so basically it's due to their wild looks (teeth!), their reputation and their capacity to kill and devour large animals.

2) The reason I still enjoy them like it's the first day I got them is because there's so much more than meets the eye: they have a fascinating behaviour and interaction (pygo's that is), and never cease to amaze me. Basically, I never get tired of watching and observing them, and the more I learn observing my own fish, and through the net, the more I'm drawn towards them...
And of course, they look absolutely fabulous, and the fact that I have these legendary fish in my own house for private observation and learning adds a lot to my interest as well.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
1) same as you, i thought they were man eating creatures... well sorta. and ithought this for weeks until i found this site. when i showed my friends i was like "they are scared in their new home, thats why they dont bite you"

yes we were all n00b's once....some longer than others.

2) i keep them now becasue:- they's grown so much, and i want to have them grow more. im attached to them. i have a big interest in them.

-after comparing them to many fish, they do have different eating habits, and if you properly take care of them and simulate nature, they have an agressive behavior.

-They shaol, and when they do they are tough. now i can go either way on this one here, its good/bad at the same time. they are bitches to shaol. it's like calling up 5 of your friend to beat up some one smaller than you... but they sure do damage.

-i figured im going to live long and have a long interest in fish, so im going to take my time and observe them for years. so why rush? ive come this far i want to seem them at full grown.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm drawn towards them...
And of course, they look absolutely fabulous, and the fact that I have these legendary fish in my own house for private observation and learning adds a lot to my interest as well.
no doubt, when i tell people i have piranhas, they are like "WTF, can i see?" then i always explain they are not like what people make them to seem like.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
1 - Well they were intreasting animals, known killers lol. also the fact that my mom at first didnt want to let me have one lol.
but i nthe end i got it lol

2 - i like Piranha's they are very intreasting fishes.

·
Registered
873 Posts
1. cichlids got boring . . . I wanted something different, so I started looking into snakeheads. I found p-fish in my search, and started reading up on piranhas. the rest is history

2. I still keep them because I love the new challenges that the hobby in general can produce on a whim. that, and keeping piranha keeps me away from doing more stupid stuff to my car (superchip, exhaust, system, intake, lighting, etc, etc.)

~Will.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
1. the fact of the name piranha and the myth! Also because youc ant find any where im from so it makes everything a bit more intresting. Im the kind of person that if it cant be found anywhere it makes me want it more and more until i can find it. I guess you can say i have the drive to obtain rare fish haha.

2. I keep them because i like them (looks,eating). Although i know they skittish i put that aside. I am fasinated with piranhas so i should continue to keep them. Im also keeping piranhas because i wanna fish my list of piranhas i want to keep.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1.) well it was kind of an accident. i always liked piranhas, but it was more of a back-burner type thing. it happened when me and my dad were fishing and we found this puddle full of small 3" catfish, so we swept em up in a big gulp cup and took them home. we bought a ten gallon to house them and i had them for about 2 months before they all died. so the 10 had been empty for about a week when i went down to visit grandpa in oregon. so me and mom went into a pet store to buy a little pet carrier for anything i might find on the beach when i saw him. the last little quarter sized p, swimming around in his little tank.i was instantly in love and after half hour of arguing my mom let me get him.

2.) well the longer i kept my first p the more i liked him, just the way he made those gliding passes towards his prey and everything. so now im hooked, and no matter what ill always need to have piranhas.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
1. I saw my buddy feed his reds a rat
- since I live in Cali. and I am not supposed to have them it made me wanted them even more

2. Cant wait till I upgrade my Shoal so they become even more agressive during feeding.
-I am getting a Rhom
-I love watching them, I trip out on them, they are cool fish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's very strange how I got into Piranha's.

I was reading a different forum, and saw a thread titled "Piranha's VS Mouse". It had the obvious warnings: "Not for the sqeamish", "Don't view if you don't like blood", etc.

I decided what the hay... and ran the movie. The fish swam together underneath the mouse trying to scurry for the edge of the tank. I could feel the Piranha's curiousity about the mouse. Finally, 1 Piranha decided to check the mouse out, and swam up and nipped at the foot of the mouse. Within seconds, the rest follwed and nipped at the mouse. Finally 1 of the p's got a hold and drapped the mouse under. The mouse struggled good (even biting) at the p's, however, the p's just over powered it and started biting within, ripped it apart.. the mouse was GONE within seconds.

I didn't like the video one bit. However, I was attracted to the way the Piranha's demonstrated the ability to work as a team. They were going nuts, yet they were all in control.

The next weekend, I bought all the aquarium gear and bought me some Piranha's. When I feed them large shrimps, it's amazing how they eat together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1. The first reason I bought one was becuase I always used to raise fish when I was younger and loved looking at them in pet stores so I wanted to get back into keeping fish again.
2. I am a student of Tanglangquan one of the animal kung fu's ( Praying mantis hence my name) and at my school alot of the students keep a variety of animals as pets to study their movements mostly predators so as they can observe their methods and behavior twords killing so they can then incorperate them into their fighting style and philosophy twords killing. Animals are naturlly far greater fighters and killers then any human could ever hope to be. This has been a tradition amoung kung fu students for centuries as kung fu seeks to acheive natural instinctive movement above all. I chose piranha for this reason their movements are of little use in refining my movemnts because their bodies are to unlike ours but i think i can learn much from their aggresion. The most important thing i have found in them is their single mindeness twords hunting and killing. My piranha are my models for clarity of thought in my own life.
3. A form of fung shui having them in my room represinting agression causes the rest of my room to become their opposite in comparison and become peacefull.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I first got into p's just for the fact they can tear sh*t up. I keep them still for the same reason. And plus piranhas the are more than just for tearin sh*t up. I now understand what they are all bout, learn to respect them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1. I've always been interested in them. Just came across a paper I wrote on them back in 5th or 6th grade (now in graduate school).

2. They beautiful and aren't boring like a community tank. Tried to give them up for a while and go with a planted tcommunity tank but now I am back with p's. Awesome fish!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.