Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of lights do you use on your aquarium. Iv'e been hearing that Ps get very skittish in bright light. I have a 29 gal with a twin strip 24" flourcent lights. (It's been cycleing for about a month and a half now with feeders and I am planning to get either 2rbps or a S.Rhom) I plan on only running one bulb though but I don't know what kind to use. Also, do the different colors of the bulb make the tank look different? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
different colours will make the tank appear different. There is still controversy surrounding the topic of lights and piranhas regarding their eyes. Yes, lower light will make your piranha feel more comfortable. The standard bulb would do fine, make sure the tank is well decored and plants always help to dim light, or you can dim the light yourself by customizing it
good luck :smile:

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Some say blacklights hurt the piranhas eyes. I would just get the regular flourecant bulbs and wrap them in electrical tape to dim them.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I don't think it hurts their eyes, it just makes them a little less comfortable then when the tank is dim. I have live plants in my tanks so I have plant bulbs at full power and my Ps have gotten use to them over time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sccavee said:
I have live plants in my tanks so I have plant bulbs at full power and my Ps have gotten use to them over time.
You said your P's got used to the gow bulbs. Were they skittish at first? If so, how long did it ake them to get used to it?

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Reds will be skittish no matter what you do, until they mature. Mine took about a month before they would move around when the lights were on. After that they act pretty much the same with the lights on or off. My Spilo CF is still a little unsure but he is getting better.

Also I think it depends where you bought the fish from. Most LFS will have bright lights in the tanks so the fish are use to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just returned my 50/50 arctic blue light today, as soon as I put back the old soft white they became much less skittish.

I liked the colors of the black light, but I'd rather see my fish swim around freely. Hope this helps.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Senator said:
I just returned my 50/50 arctic blue light today, as soon as I put back the old soft white they became much less skittish.

I liked the colors of the black light, but I'd rather see my fish swim around freely. Hope this helps.
I use the 50/50 in my tank and have no problem, it is a little dimmer than the traditional bulbs.

Senator, this is not the black light X was talking about, 50/50 are made for fish and will not hurt their eyes. Black lights are made for stoners to write on walls...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I have soft whites in my tank which makes them hudle up in the middle from time to time. But when the lights are off in the room, and blue lights from the TV is on, they're usually more active and non skittish.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
As for wattage i use 25 watt bulbs. I get the grow bulbs they are used to it by now. I noticed with the ones made for aquariums are better. And the regular bulb from hardware stores will cause brown alge. This crap grew every where. And hard to get rid of. It was hard to spend the extra cash on the aquarium one's. But it's worth not having that damb brown alge.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've had my 45 gallon set up for over a year. Hopefully on monday i'll receive 2 "beauty lights" made by Interpet. I think that they're similar to Aquaglo tubes a low level purple hued light. My rhom is pretty inactive with the current light set up.I have a warm white and slight blue casting tubes. Hopefully the tube change will increase it's activity levels, otherwise i may sell it and get a spilo.
Ta.

·
Registered
29 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Senator said:

I use the 50/50 in my tank and have no problem, it is a little dimmer than the traditional bulbs.

Senator, this is not the black light X was talking about, 50/50 are made for fish and will not hurt their eyes. Black lights are made for stoners to write on walls...
I thought the 50/50 was half soft white and half Ultra-violet (black light)? It did give my neons that extra glow a black light does. I have a pure black light also, shined in from the side. Did notice my fishies didn't like it much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.