Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what at-home products can i use as bio-media to place in my filter for extra biological filtration? looking around i saw legos (but not very effective), cut-up pieces of straws, and hair curls? whats the most effective?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
What kind filter are you using now that you want to add media to ???

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phtstrat said:
:nod: Simplest answer always the best.
[snapback]861295[/snapback]​
maybe. but i wouldnt know what has the most surface area and what doesnt. any1 have an example?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
elTwitcho said:
All of those suggestions have very little surface area and quite frankly, suck. Someone already answered your question, put some gravel in your filter. Lavarock is the best DIY bio media in my opinion at any rate.
[snapback]861476[/snapback]​
what about a sponge

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Filo said:
what about a sponge

[snapback]861597[/snapback]​
A sponge would be great.. temporarily. After awhile, the sponge would come in contact and carry other harmfull bacterias. Changing it would be neccessary, but after replacing, the whole precess of establishing the right bacterias would have to start all over again.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
elTwitcho said:
All of those suggestions have very little surface area and quite frankly, suck. Someone already answered your question, put some gravel in your filter. Lavarock is the best DIY bio media in my opinion at any rate.
i have a big piece of lava rock. what do i do? chip off some pieces and put it in the filter cartridge? or in the filter?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Buy a box of biomedia (lava rock or sintered glass) - it's not that expensive, and much more efficient than any home-made media.
Filtration is not something be be cheapskate about: it's the backbone of any fish tank.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Judazzz said:
Buy a box of biomedia (lava rock or sintered glass) - it's not that expensive, and much more efficient than any home-made media.
Filtration is not something be be cheapskate about: it's the backbone of any fish tank.
[snapback]861894[/snapback]​
i dont think the fact that i already have lava rock is being cheap. i would call it resourceful. thanks.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Lavarock is the best DIY bio media in my opinion at any rate.
Oh yeah, cause everyone just has some lava rock sitting around their house...nice suggestion after saying everyone else's sucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts