Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the recent loss of my rhom i have an open 55. I was thinking about putting some africans in it, but i dont know anything about them. What kinds can i put in a 55? How many? What do they eat? What kind of water conditions do they like? If you can answer any of these questions or provide info about africans in general i would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
655 Posts
i would say go to the lfs see wut they have and which ones u may like and then do a little research on them because in the long run it you that has to be happy with the fish you buy. thats probably the best information i can give you being the only cichlids i ever owned were oscars

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
there are some cookie cutter setups on www.cichlid-forum.com that will give you good stocking suggestions for africans and I think ca/sa as well for 55g. Another word of advice I've heard is stay away from the tanks at the lfs that say "assorted africans" so that you know what you're getting, and not a mutt.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are some cookie cutter setups on www.cichlid-forum.com that will give you good stocking suggestions for africans and I think ca/sa as well for 55g. Another word of advice I've heard is stay away from the tanks at the lfs that say "assorted africans" so that you know what you're getting, and not a mutt.
whats wrong with mutts, are they less healthy?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

whats wrong with mutts, are they less healthy?
[/quote]

My problem with mutt's is you'll buy something out of that tank and due to the tons of africans species you'll ask someone here to id it so you know more info about it and no one will have a clue because it's a mutt. But if you're ok with a fish that's not 100% identifiable, and going with the flow it's cool.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not really concerned about iding the fish as long as they look good. If i get africans do i have to get all from the same lake? Do africans from the same lake generally grow to be the same size, if so how big? What do they eat, what kind of decor, do they like current?

thanks for the link

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'm not really concerned about iding the fish as long as they look good. If i get africans do i have to get all from the same lake? Do africans from the same lake generally grow to be the same size, if so how big? What do they eat, what kind of decor, do they like current?

thanks for the link
I don't do africans because they're not appealing to me but yes you should stick with one lake to stock from. Some people don't but it will work better if you do. There's hundreds of species and they all get different sizes thats why you have to know what you're buying. As far as what they eat/decor/etc I'll leave to someone else but having an idea of what you want will help people tell what specifically you need. I don't think any need current but you should have a high ph, and if not use aragonite/ph buffer or texas holey(think you can use this) rock to raise the ph to where it's supposed to be for that lake. Not only will this help them act like they're supposed to but their colors will also be better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.