Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bigman just brought to my attention the very real danger of the power in your house going out.

So What is the best thing to do if the power does go out?

Bigman was well prepared with extra tank, but some of us (atleast me) dont have such resources, so what could I do if the power does go out for a couple of hours? Aside from having a generator lol.

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
.... hope that it comes back on!!! like soon!!! a couple hours isnt going to be that big a deal---

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
you can just occationally stir the water to get oxegen but it should bne fine for a couple of hours if its out like days thats bad

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yup hope it comes back on :D but you can do a few little water changes a day to give air.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
mine was out for 22 hours last new year
i bought two bubblers that are battery operated and ran them for o2
and cranked up the heater in the house to keep them warm
i was worried but it worked out fine
plus i will always have the bubblers just in case

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had the power go out for about eight hours, so I wrapped my tank in blankets to help insulate it from heat loss. The temp stayed for the whole time and probably dropped 3 degrees or so.

·
Registered
649 Posts
my power went out for a while but when then power did finaly turn back on my emporer 280 filter lost all suction, water and started making a grinding noise. good thing my room mate was their and unpluged it.what could i do so it doesn't do that again?

·
5,336 Posts
the best thing you can do to be prepared... have a generator
if you dont have that resource, they make battery backups for computers that are pretty slick for running air/heat for a few hours...
and if sh*t hits the fan... you can always start a fire, heat water and blow bubbles in your tank till you get light headed... plants help creating o2 if you have them in your tank you prob dont need to worry about bubbles, but light and heat instead... either way its a pain in the ass and hopefully the power grid doesnt drop off the face of the earth for more than a 12 hours

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
2 things you could do

1. get a power strip with a batt. back up....saw one on sale last night at office depot for 50 bucks...

2. get "prime" or "amquel plus" add one of the two to the tank if its going to be out for a while.....batt. powered bubbler not a bad ideal

if it goes out for an hour or two no big deal just unplug your heater and make sure you plug it back in and you'll be ok

blow bubbles in your tank till you get light headed
you blowwing in the tank is not oxygen.....but i thought of that and some let me in on that haha

·
5,336 Posts
2 things you could do

1. get a power strip with a batt. back up....saw one on sale last night at office depot for 50 bucks...

2. get "prime" or "amquel plus" add one of the two to the tank if its going to be out for a while.....batt. powered bubbler not a bad ideal

if it goes out for an hour or two no big deal just unplug your heater and make sure you plug it back in and you'll be ok

blow bubbles in your tank till you get light headed
you blowwing in the tank is not oxygen.....but i thought of that and some let me in on that haha
your lungs cant absorb all the available oxygen... even if you hold your breath... it wouldnt be AS effective as a airpump... but a quick in and a quick out is better than nothing? if things got ugly you better believe i would be blue in the face

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
so if i hit the blunt and use a straw to blow the smoke in the tank.................

will my rhom get the munchies and eat more?

LOL

·
5,336 Posts
so if i hit the blunt and use a straw to blow the smoke in the tank.................

will my rhom get the munchies and eat more?

LOL
no....not enogh smoke....try putting the blunt on the intake for the air pump and burn the entire thing down... my old roomies put a feeder in the bong for a major sesh, and then he fed it to his oscar... and a resin ball too.... the last thing you want is an oscar with the munchies, damn near eat you out of house and home...

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
There are expensive options but for the majority of us, at least keep a battery operated air pump and some amquel plus on hand. With a filter failure as a side note I learned recently that circulation w/ a powerhead is mostly important to evenly distribute heat and keeping the tank oxygenated.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a rechargeable portable power supply, you can run a variety of things off of it including fish tank heaters, filters etc you can even run laptops and other home devices off of it. Just charge it up and keep it handy in case of an emergency. If the power is out for an extended period of time you can always recharge it from the cigarette lighter in your car. It was only $60 at pepboys hopefully I'll never need it but just incase I will be covered, it's like having insurance.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Last time my power was out for any length of time I used a POWER INVERTER...It will convert DC to AC and run about everything in your tank.They range in price from $50 or so to probably the moon...Here's a link.

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
well if you have an air pump mayb if you can a way to hook to a battery that could work idk just a thaught. i have a generator so i dont really have to worry about dead fish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts