Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my fish died after a bacterial infection. pretty sure it was because of the medication. anyway i want to start over.. what should i do.. dump the tank? bleach it all?.. just change the water?.. help me out please. i have always had problems with this tank clouding up and the good bacteria dying.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
that happend to me a long time ago. best thing to do is empty the water and start from scratch. i got new substrate so you might wanna do that.
just tellin ya what i did

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
drain all water, remove all substrate, grab a gallon of water, add 10% vinegar, grab a clean towel. rub all the inside down with this, scrub it hard. fill with new substrate, remove sponges, and all bio material out of filters. replace it all. fill water up, turn on filters. dump in 25 feeder gold fish, wait 3-4 weeks, check parameters, start shopping for a fish.

or check out the "fishless cycle" ive never done it, but i heard it works.

when my piranhas died, these are all the steps i took, i havnt had one problem so far in 8 months, other than some wierd fungus, but im sure it was unrelated.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
drain all water, remove all substrate, grab a gallon of water, add 10% vinegar, grab a clean towel. rub all the inside down with this, scrub it hard. fill with new substrate, remove sponges, and all bio material out of filters. replace it all. fill water up, turn on filters. dump in 25 feeder gold fish, wait 3-4 weeks, check parameters, start shopping for a fish.

or check out the "fishless cycle" ive never done it, but i heard it works.

when my piranhas died, these are all the steps i took, i havnt had one problem so far in 8 months, other than some wierd fungus, but im sure it was unrelated.
I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
so my fish died after a bacterial infection. pretty sure it was because of the medication. anyway i want to start over.. what should i do.. dump the tank? bleach it all?.. just change the water?.. help me out please. i have always had problems with this tank clouding up and the good bacteria dying.
OK if this happened, the a thorough cleaning should be done as been said here.
You did not mention anything about the symptoms.
How about water parameters?

Harry

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You may want to look a little further into why your tank kept clouding up....The water params could have been off or maybe it was overstocked? I would do as mentioned above and clean the tank and start over..That alone I doubt will fix the water problem..Algae blooms may also cause the water to cloud up..Alot of variables to consider without knowing how big your tank was,,,water params,,,how many of what type fish,,,,filtration etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the tank was a 150 gal tank and the ammonia was really high so im pretty sure thats why all my bacteria died.. i had 5 piranha in it they were about 5-6" and they just became covered in slime, eyes clouded over.. took pictures to the pet store and they said it was bacterial.. i have 2 uv sterilizers and i also added salt so im sure that took care of any other types of parasites. so everyone says i should just dump everything in the tank and start over? im my filters also? dump all the carbon? i have 2 big ehiems...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
the tank was a 150 gal tank and the ammonia was really high so im pretty sure thats why all my bacteria died.. i had 5 piranha in it they were about 5-6" and they just became covered in slime, eyes clouded over.. took pictures to the pet store and they said it was bacterial.. i have 2 uv sterilizers and i also added salt so im sure that took care of any other types of parasites. so everyone says i should just dump everything in the tank and start over? im my filters also? dump all the carbon? i have 2 big ehiems...
why are you using carbon? carbon is just for removing medications and chemicals you may have added.
did you have any bio media or anything? or just carbon?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you had the carbon in when you added any meds to treat the fish you were wasting your time and money on the meds..Carbon will just pull them back out of the water...In addition how often do you do water changes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/quote]

why are you using carbon? carbon is just for removing medications and chemicals you may have added.
did you have any bio media or anything? or just carbon?
[/quote]

carbon ammonia chips, biomax media is what i had in it.. there was one area that i couldnt get to to clean really well cuz of a plant mat.. that coul have been the problem.. ok im gonna dump everything and start over. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you had the carbon in when you added any meds to treat the fish you were wasting your time and money on the meds..Carbon will just pull them back out of the water...In addition how often do you do water changes?
no i took all the carbon out before i added the meds.. i removed the carbon.. added meds.. and they all literally died overnight. covered in slime eyes clouded over.. flesh just rotting off.. it was bad.

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Totally not trying to insult you or anything here...but that sounds like it could have easily been a case of ammonia burn that your fish died of. The flesh rotting off and clouded eyes is what brings me to that conclusion. How sure are you that it was a bacterial infection?

·
Registered
841 Posts
This sounds like a typical uncycled tank, or a bio-load way to high for your filtration. My suggestions would be to read up as much as you can about tank cycling and the Nitrogen cycle in general.

As far as cleaning of stuff goes, I would just rince and scrub it with clean tap water (NO SOAP).

Set everything back up and get your tank cycled before you dump your fish in.

Cycle information
http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/article.php?id=7
http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/article.php?id=18
http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/article.php?id=34

Good article on Salt
http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/article.php?id=34

You also get a master test kit so you can check all your water parameters. The most important are Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. GH and KH can also be usefull but I rarely use mine. Truthfully now that I know what I am doing I rarely use them all except for the Nitrate test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally not trying to insult you or anything here...but that sounds like it could have easily been a case of ammonia burn that your fish died of. The flesh rotting off and clouded eyes is what brings me to that conclusion. How sure are you that it was a bacterial infection?
not insulted i think it was ammonia burn.. i do test the water parameters regularly.. i dont know what happened.. ammonia spike was after the tank clouded over.. but its ok i already emptied out the tank and filled it with tap water.. taking no chances.. guess im starting with babies again.

on another note i have a hedgehog too! adn a cat... the best is when the cat tries to sniff the hedgehog. haha.

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Good luck with your new setup!

p.s. My cat wants to attack my hedghog but he cant get to it at all, which is funny to me. My hedgehog is terrified of life, however. Im thinking they abused the poor lil guy at the pet store or something. Hes terrified of any sounds whatsoever. Is yours the same way?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
QUOTE(Theman @ Dec 20 2006, 07:34 PM)

i used bleach... i bleached the rocks and scrubbed everything and then got this stuff called cycle 20bux for a big bottle and i was ready for fish in 6 days

I use bleach as well but you have to be VERY careful with this poison. I use 5% bleach at the most and do at least four 12-hour soakings in 100% water after the fact.
you may want to boil that stuff as well....that what i see ppl do after the bleach step

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.