Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone's posted something similar to this, if so you can delete it X. What kind of fish do you keep with your Ps? I keep 2 Red-Belly Pacu, a plecostomus, and a Turushuki catfish (Pseudodoras Niger) with my 1 red-belly. One of the pacus gets his fins nipped a little bit, but the others are all fine in it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I dont have any in with my p's. Just 3 reds and 3 caribe. Planning on getting two more reds tomorrow tho. But from what I hear, the pacu's should be alright, and so should the pleco. It's the cat I would be worried about. But since everyone has different experiences it's really impossible to tell.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I have a pleco that is able to survive by hiding in around the various pots and among the plants in my 75 with my brandtii which had already killed 7 plecos in the last two months.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I have six natts, accompanied by:

1 Clown Pleco
1 Common Pleco
1 Sailfin Pleco
1 Dwarf Sucker (Oto)
4 Spotted Talking Catfish
1 Striped Talking Catfish
5 Bronze Cories
3 Schwartz's Cories
2 False Bandit Cories
2 Leopard Cories
5 Rummy-Nosed Tetra's
5 Neon Tetra's
1 Emperor Tetra
3 Serpae Tetra's
2 Marble Hatchetfish
2 Fivebanded Barbs

Some of these fish, like the pleco's, some of the cories and the barbs are living in that tank for more than 8 months now

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Some of these fish, like the pleco's, some of the cories and the barbs are living in that tank for more than 8 months now
Interesting, did several experiments like these and the only thing that survived after 2 years was the pleco. Then he was eaten one day. Keep trying though, the pet stores need lots of business

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
hastatus said:
Interesting, did several experiments like these and the only thing that survived after 2 years was the pleco. Then he was eaten one day. Keep trying though, the pet stores need lots of business
Well, I must admit that every once a a while some fish disappear (I think that next to my reds, my raphael cats are also guilty of snatching little fish occasionally), but it's by far not the carnage I expected. I started with some small tetra's as feeders: when they were still alive after a couple of weeeks, I tried some other fish, and it eventually resulted in the collection tankmates I have at the moment. I noticed some fish do disappear more rapidly than others (for instance, marbled cories all were within a few weeks, whereas some of my bronze cories are living in that tank for many, many months now... Any idea whay may cause this???).

I think you can condition piranha's to a certain degree to live with other fish, depending on the character of the piranha's, how early you start experimenting with tankmates, the size and character of the tankmates you choose, your feeding schedule, the way you set up your tank, a dose of good luck and probably many more factors.
But this is just my own theory, based on my own experiences, and not backed up by anything else...... :smile:

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
My fish won't conform they'll eat any fish i throw in there. The catfish i used to have ate alot of the waste i have to clean out now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I currently have a 55gal. with 4 RBPs (6in) and one Pleco (10in) (To answer the thread-only a pleco as a surviving tank mate for almost 1 year). I recently divided the tank w/ a see-through divider and have 2 nickel size Gold Spillos taking up about 12.5gal of this tank. Once the golds get a bit larger, I'm going to try to mix them and see what happens. If carnage breaks out, I'll probably pull them into a new tank, but I only have as of now. I'm a bit nervous though, because at the size the golds are right now, they're already attacking small feeders, and 2 of the same size attacked 2 4in Albino Oscars. Any opinions on this post? Let me know. Always open to suggestions, just remember.. I don't have a whole hell of a lot of money.

Also, I'm about to try blackwater extract in my tank.. Any opinions on this? Can I use a full power 40watt white bulb with this in the water?

Thanks for all the help,

DZ-5

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i had convicts for about six months and had an oscar for a few months after losing a tank and sold them all but the only thing that has lasted is my pleco about a year and a half he has been in with them

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Right now I have a Black Widow that has been alive for many years, and in with the P since it was nickel size... and they are doing great together, I also have a seprae in with them too, It is doing fine right now

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
albino pleco and royal pleco..knock on wood they are all okay

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah, forgot to add that I also have 2 african cichlids in there with my red-belly. And also I'm not really worried about my catfish getting annihilated by the RBP or Pacu (or anything for that matter). My catfish is probably about twice the size as anything else, but hey who knows right?

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
If you get big enough oscars like a tiger oscar or some that are very dark, some piranhas leave them alone. I do have the oscars that were in our tank though seperate because I wanted my own fish to keep.
Some plecos last as well, I think you should get some medium sized ones and they should leave them alone, if you get baby plecos sometimes the p's eat them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well everything WAS going well with all of the fish until this morning
I woke up and turned on the tanklights to find the smaller african cichlid with nasty wounds on both sides of his head, like the P got a hold of it's whole head and bit down. That and one of the pacu (the biggest of the group) had a little fin nip the other day on his dorsal fin which was healing up very quickly. But now he has no tail fin and some of the meat of his tail is gone. Not sure which fish is doing it. The red has no damage on him and neither does that pacu that's smaller than the red. The biggest cichlid (who is nasty bright yellow) is doing fine, not so much as a scratch. Same with the big cat, nothing wrong with him. Don't have another tank for the pacu either since one 10 is full of gouramis (future food
) the other 10 is my hospital tank and has bettas in it now, and my 5 gallon is loaded with betta fry. Guess I'll just have to leave him in there and hope my P (or whatever is responsible) doesn't get too hungry before my next pay day.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I have a severum with my piranhas and have done for almost a year

1 - 20 of 25 Posts