Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
looks like natts to me(red bellies) hard to say though with those shots.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Their forehead doesn't resemble those of red-bellies. But those lower jaws do IMHO. That white thingy on pic#2 is a chunk of fresh scallop meat. I hope they're ok for my fish. They seemed to like it, though they refused chicken liver. maybe they're too young to eat liver.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bcollins111900 said:
looks like natts to me(red bellies) hard to say though with those shots.
I don't live in USA. I'm in S.E Asia and Piranhas are very rare specimen here. If this is a red belly, I'm very happy now

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
BiteMeNipMe said:
Some piranha owners say that piranhas dont have eyelids? These guys can blink. I kid you not!
HaHaHa, I never seen a fish that can blink. Are you sure?

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
The body shape doesnt have the similarities of a Natt.. its too stretched out. Also, I've seen my Ps "blink" from time to time. They dont acutally blink, but buldge in/out (?) in a way that makes it look as if they were.

Im thinking it may be a S. Elongatus, or even S. Medinai.. If you can provide a better pix maybe we can identify it even better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stared at them for a really long time, and yes they blinked
. The eyelids aremore like very thin membrane about 10% see thru. I know I wasn't hallucinating. The blinked like the way birds blink, very fast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RhomZilla said:
The body shape doesnt have the similarities of a Natt.. its too stretched out. Also, I've seen my Ps "blink" from time to time. They dont acutally blink, but buldge in/out (?) in a way that makes it look as if they were.

Im thinking it may be a S. Elongatus, or even S. Medinai.. If you can provide a better pix maybe we can identify it even better.
Ok I will. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Almost impossible to distinguish many types of Serrasalmus at that size, wait a month or two for them to grow a little more. And if you can get some clearer pictures that might help too, can't tell from those.

No they don't actually blink, they are moving their eyes instead.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't know about that NEO, the bottom of my Snapple bottle lid says fish do have eylids!!

Too Funny!!

PS-- yes fish blink, really!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
B. Scott Posted on Apr 26 2003, 03:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about that NEO, the bottom of my Snapple bottle lid says fish do have eylids!!

Too Funny!!

PS-- yes fish blink, really!
Hmmm, not this group of species Brian

Vertebrates like snakes do not blink, but have a protective spectacle or brille. This is a transparent membrane in the skin which protects the cornea. Fish have a protective spectacle. Eyes of some teleosts (bony fishes) are protected by vertical folds of adipose tissue (fatty tissue) that may leave an aperture. One of those is the Hydrocynus sp. (African Tiger Fishes) look at their eyes
. When you see eye movement, like blinking motion it is probably the fish using a natural movement or exercise for whatever reason. Being in water, they don't need tear ducts like humans. I love snapple, but they got that remark almost wrong.

PS: Maybe Snapple was talking about Sharks which DO BLINK.

FYI: Some species of sharks and rays have a membrane, the 'nictitating membrane' that can close over the eye to protect it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great White sharks have the ability to close their eyes, they do so when attacking their prey to avoid eye damage. It's pretty neat actually, the last foot or so of the attack is done blind.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
BiteMeNipMe - I would not feel comfortable attmepting to render an opinion on what this fish is until its bigger and we get a really clear side shot. I do not think it is a red belly though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts