Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 baby RBP an there about 1 1/2 to 2 inches an when i got them they said to feed them feeder guppies. but i dont know if thats good enough i was thinking of starting small goldies but i wanted to ask the pros.(u guys)
thank you
hollie

· Registered
82 Posts
Hi I am not a pro but from what I have read gold fish are bad feeders. I am not sure but maybe some rosie reds or other feeders like mollies. I have 4 small p's and I feed them frozen smelt,shrimp,catfish. I have some guppies in there and some tetra's just to keep there attention off killing each other if they get hungry.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
goldfish are bad. they have this chemical called thiaminase (pls correct the spell.) It can cause hindrance of growth to piranhas. guppies and live FW shrimps are much safer if you'll gonna give them live feeders and as much as possible the feeders should be with the P's approx sizes and right quantity or else your P's will only kill the rest and leave them rotting on your tank bed. However, its still a lot better if u train them to various diets like protein pellets, bloodworms, occassional mammalian meat, etc. all this you can find on B Scott's pinned topic on the feeding and nutririon forum. good luck!

· Registered
1,539 Posts
your better off giveing them shrimp, krill, beef heart, blood worms, night crawlers and things like that. A varied diet is much better for them

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Well everyone here sez dont feed your fish GOLDIES (feeders)

I am goign to answer your Question scince u asked....

at that age u can go with small goldies or minnows about 1in-2in...

a bigger feeder will = more carnage....

But at that age u really should be feeding them bloodworms and krill, try to only feed them goldies like once every 2 weeks

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all I'll have to hit my work today an pick up some beefheart an bloodworms. i know they take the sinking carniviours(sp) pellets an some cichlids food but mostly feeders. thanks for all the help an i just wanna say after having these 4 for a couple days i am not going to own a diff kind a fish again. there great.(wish i could find other kinds, all i can get is RBP)

· Registered
18,153 Posts
If you want great colors on your fish, I highly recommend shrimp, krill and red mosquito larvae.
One word of advice concerning beef heart: I'd not feed it until your guys are some 4-5" in size. Beef heart is fibery, and can cause digestive problems, especially with young fish. Once older, they can deal with it a bit better, but don't feed it more often than once, twice per month - it's perfect as a treat, but very bad as a staple...

*Moved to Feeding and Nutrition*

· my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,237 Posts
i fed my babies krill and blood worms and tehy loved it and the one that killed all the others grew up to be very healthy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.