Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to get 4 or 6 piranha's and i dont know what is the best food to go with?? can anyone help me?

·
7,344 Posts
As much variety as possible

A good pellet is the easiest... no thawing etc, but may take time to train them to accept it.

Shrimp, talpia, and fish fillets, squid, octopus, crab and any available seafood trimmings

salmon and beef heart occasionally, no chicken or red meats or anything cooked.

·
Banned
35,116 Posts
always went with krill, shrimp and white fish pieces. variety is king with any fish, piranhas are no exception to that rule. avoid things like beef heart in too many servings. youll find they will greedily eat most things.

·
Banned
19,543 Posts
Go to the grocery store with 20$.

Ask them for as much tilapia fillets you can get for 20$.

You will now have about 2-3 months supply of food for your piranhas. Supplement with hikari gold cichlid pellets if the piranhas will take them.

·
Banned
35,116 Posts
^ solid advice

people don't associate grocery stores with fish food but you can get terrific food for cheap there.
don't hesitate to try frozen shrimp (with the tail) for a good staple diet too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mix diet of shrimp , pellets , tilapia , beef heart , catfish fillet..

id highly suggest pellets as base and stay away from feeders ...
if you have extra space just do hospital tank and few feeders (non sucker) for min of 30 days before feeding... but still wouldnt feed more then once a month ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If they're young you have to try training them to eat hikari gold cichlid pellets. If they won't take that though just tilapia as stated above.

·
7,344 Posts
Depends on the size of the fish, as many pellets as they can consume in a few minutes... if there are ones left floating reduce the number

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
I've always fed mine beef heart. pretty regularly when I had them too.

Never any issues and cheap from grocery store

1 - 13 of 13 Posts