Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am planning to move my P from his 30 gallon to my 55 gallon. So he will be the only fish in the tank. I was thinking of maybe adding 2 more red's with him, but it would be hard for me to find 2 his size (2.5-3 inch). So the question I have for you all is what do think I could possibly put in with him? I have heard convicts MIGHT work. I dunno, I just think 1 red in a 55 is a bit of a waste. I did search of the forums, but nothing really came up.

I forgot one thing. A while ago I had some tetras and some other fish in with my one P. I added a few more and he ate any and all that resembled a red in any way. The tetras had a similar shape, so I guess he saw them as a threat to his territory. So I guess I will have to go with chiclids or some thing. I don't want to risk more P's.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I'd definitely try to find some redbelly buddies for your lonely guy. Most solitary pygo's are quite boring, to say the least, so if you added 2 more, they would probably be a lot more active and less shy...
If you are unable to find some reds of his size, you could get some smaller ones, and raise them in the 30g, so they can catch up a little, size-wise. A size difference of 1" or less is usually not that much of a problem.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Judazzz said:
I'd definitely try to find some redbelly buddies for your lonely guy. Most solitary pygo's are quite boring, to say the least, so if you added 2 more, they would probably be a lot more active and less shy...
If you are unable to find some reds of his size, you could get some smaller ones, and raise them in the 30g, so they can catch up a little, size-wise. A size difference of 1" or less is usually not that much of a problem.
you here best from juda

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
As been said, try to find to more Reds for your 55g!

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
both judazz and snowcichlid's ideas are good ones .i would personally try and get more reds a divided tank or using the other tank would be fine and babies can catch up within a 2-3 months to an acceptable size less if over 1''
dixon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.