Piranhas Forum banner

What should I do with my cracked 180 gallon?

• 1) Sell it to get some cash back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) turn it into an iguana tank (i dont know anything about them though)

• 3) fill it up with 1/4 water and turn into turtle tank with feeder goldfish

• 4) fill it up with 1/4 water and turn into a frog/amphibian tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 180 gallon tank sitting on the floor tanking up space. Not sure what I am going to do with it, i have been offered anywhere from $150-200 from people who want to use it as a lizard, iguana, turtle, etc. tank.

So wanted your opinions on it. It has been repaired with plexiglass and aquarium silicone so it does hold some water. I can fill it up anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of water is acceptable, anymore and it might start to leak water (a risk i dont want to take).

I am thinking of keeping it as a amphibian/turtle type tank. Anybody have one of these or know about it.

Or I can use it to breed mice for feeding my piranhas, lol.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
if it is a crack at the glass just hand it in to a dont know what the name is in english, glass master? and he will fix it and it shouldnt be so expensive either

·
Registered
18 Posts
How long could you keep a baby pygmy caiman in a 180? I haven't really looked into them, but crocodilians are pretty cool! Tipopiola

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
A terrarium type setup would be cool.

~Dj

·
Registered
147 Posts
yup, turn it into amphibian tank.... I would suggest crocodilian, such as baby dwarf caiman would be cool

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
iguanas are not good pets - they will take more care than most reptiles and are not reccomended as pets.

also caiman or crocodilian are not amphibians

but you could get some amphibians like salamanders or you could keep other small land animals.
you will most likely not need both land and water unless you want to keep newts as frogs generally either live in or out of water, and salamanders only live in water untill they metamorphosise when they become land creatures although all amphibians will need a moist environment.

if you want more info on amphibians we do cover these in the non-piranha forum

go to the pet shop and look at the small animals and choose for yourslf - but not an iguana

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone, thanks for the replies.

I have decided and did, sell my tank. I sold it for $100, which was not good since i was asking for $200. also i put about $50 worth of sealant and plexiglass into it. but oh well. I needed the office space and didnt want a busted ugly tank standing here making it look bad.

Now it looks much more professional and i get complents all the time

Innes- thanks for the opinion on iguanas. I saw some at the pet store and it was running back and forth very fast and i heard they can be aggressive, so i changed my mind.

If i do do this project, most likely be an amphibian type setup. BTW, i thought crocodiles and alligators are illegal to own as pets, am i wrong? Also what do you do with it when it grows 5 feet?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
finally a question that im good at. Put a bearded dragon or ball python in there they are the best reptiles u can get!!! some beardeds actually like to be held if u handle them when they are young and ball pythons have a good temper its very rare for then to bite.

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
I'd recommend reading through this site Melissa Kaplan's Herp Care Collection thoroughly before considering getting either an iguana or any crocodilian.I feel there's some very good information there.
I "rescued" a 2 foot spectacled caiman from a 45 gallon aquarium, I built a large indoor enclosure for him with pond and basking area and when he got to 4 feet he was a handful to deal with I donated him to a tropical garden place near my city. A ball python or a couple corns would look cool.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
ezlife said:
Also what do you do with it when it grows 5 feet?
just let the sucker go in a pond or something...LOL..im just kidding of course.

take winkyee's advice w/ how to get rid of it.

i think u should get some crabs or some turtles when u decide to do it..

can crabs and turtles live togther? get both if they can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts