Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another Sanchezi and this one is way more aggressive,its about 3"s and it wont allow anything in the tank,It also has a very faded Hyleine(sp?) line on its tail compared to the other fish you guys Id'd as a sanchezi

· I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,119 Posts
I agree with Frank,juvenile S.Sanchezi

· Registered
10,481 Posts
cco Posted Today, 04:54 PM
I have another Sanchezi and this one is way more aggressive,its about 3"s and it wont allow anything in the tank,It also has a very faded Hyleine(sp?) line on its tail compared to the other fish you guys Id'd as a sanchezi
For that reason is why this species was originally placed as a spilopleura complex member (it's not) its a rhombeus complex member.

I had a deep look at the belly scutes when the photo was enlarged. I'm fairly certain the fish is S. sanchezi.

· Registered
25 Posts
yes, sanchezi are aggressive and it will bite anything that move depend where it's at cause my will follow anything that it see and would try to attack it hard.....my was sold to me as a black piranha but then it turn out to be S. sanchezi.........it's true......... look at my pics and see what you think of my sanchezi to yours Rocco......................
my sanchezi is about 5inch long and 4 1/4 wide....it's about 1 1/2 year old.... sorry to pic is bad but ill put one better pic up soon...............

View attachment 42801

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Rocco Posted Today, 05:07 PM
I know it all depends on the fish but generally speaking,is the sanchezi and aggressive fish cause this fish is nuts and from what i read,sanchezi is very mild
There is no way to measure aggression in a fish. That is solely and individual trait and can't (shouldn't) be tagged to a particular species. In PFURY and elsewhere among hobbyists, you will always get a "fish is aggressive or a fish is not aggressive" response. So I caution you not to use that same formula when dealing with S. sanchezi or any other species of pirana.

As for coloration differences, its not cut in stone a fish will be a specific color because many factors in your aquarium can effect its "tank colors". Often what you see in the wild will not be the same in the tank. S. sanchezi is not a large species and 6-7inches is the total max length recorded by science. Its possible the difference in coloration may also have to do with the age of the fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.