Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just started to set up this extra 20 gallon tank I found laying around. I kept my first red belly in there when he was little. I was wondering what kind of Piranha I can put in a 20 gallon (and keep in there for a while). Would it be possible with a gold spilo? Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
probably a lone RB but it wont be too interesting. Usually Serrs are a better soolitary P. I have a GOld SPilo in a 20 Gallon but its long. ANd I believe its the length of the tank and not so much the hiehgt of the tank that the piranhas need.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I would say a small serra would be ok in it for a while. Remember, serras dont grow as fast as p's so you can throw them in a small tank for a period and as long as you upgrade in a reasonable time frame, they should be relatively happy. I would definatly go with a serra, maybe a small rhom or gold spilo.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Why not go with an Irritans then, he could practically live in there for life and he would be very mean in there more then likely being that they mature at such a small size 6-8 inches max. looks similiar to a rohm too

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Get a bigger tank and diiferent varieties of Pygos. For your 20 gal, I'd settle for a Serra.. preferrably a RHOM!! Get a 2-3"er, that should be good enough to stay in that size tank and watch grow till your kids be come teenagers.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Honestly you should try some dwarf puffers in there, you could put more than just one in there and they are mean little buggers despite their cute appearance, or maybe try some EXODEANS, they are like mini-P's and are an aggresive form of the tetras. They maintain the younger P habbits or the same habbits as the elongate piranha.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RhomZilla said:
Get a 2-3"er, that should be good enough to stay in that size tank and watch grow till your kids be come teenagers.
KIDS?!?! I'm 18.... how long do these guys live... lol. The more i think about it.... I want to find room for another 55 gallon tank, and give the 20 to my little brother. I want a big rhom. We'll see if I can find room or money for that. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Piranha's can reach an age of well over 20 years...
So buying a small rhom is like a investment which pays off years and years later

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Dont expect thrills if you get a baby rohm... you are most likely going to be in for a dissapointment, there are more entertaining Piranhas for small tanks then rohms.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
one thing that puzzles me is that people will go out and spend $200+ on fish including shipping and then shove this magnifcent fish into a tiny tank, I know all of our tanks are tiny, but some much more so than others, I really dont suggest any tank smaller than 40g breeder to be fair to a fish at small sizes, you generally will find that fish are more active in bigger tanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, the 20 gallon is left over. I have my 3 RBP in a 55, and I was asking a simple question... if any P's can go in that tank. If not, then I will have to wait until I can afford a bigger tank.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
one thing that puzzles me is that people will go out and spend $200+ on fish including shipping and then shove this magnifcent fish into a tiny tank, I know all of our tanks are tiny, but some much more so than others, I really dont suggest any tank smaller than 40g breeder to be fair to a fish at small sizes, you generally will find that fish are more active in bigger tanks
He was not looking to buy a 200+ dollar fish and put it in the 20. He was looking to see what piranha would be the best for the small tank. A small rhom or gold would not come close to 200 bucks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Xenon said:
Sir Nathan XXI said:
He was not looking to buy a 200+ dollar fish and put it in the 20. He was looking to see what piranha would be the best for the small tank. A small rhom or gold would not come close to 200 bucks.
Yeah what he said...ass

1 - 20 of 21 Posts