Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
simple physics; mice are way stronger AND way faster than arthropods.

i speculate it would start by biting/ripping out the scorpion's claws, as the scorpion would raise its claws up to defend itself. The scorpion might even try to pinch back at the mouse, but its grip is not strong enough to hold a mouse's limb for any duration, so the mouse would almost instantly wriggle its leg free with only a minor flesh wound. however then the scorpion would reflexively sting the mouse upon first contact. Most scorpions' venom+dosage isn't nearly potent enough to kill the mouse right away, and it might not even be enough to kill a mouse, period. So the mouse would turn from tearing/biting out the claws, to tearing/biting out the stinger instead. That would take about 10 seconds, maybe 30 seconds tops. Then it resumes tearing out the claws, which doesn't take very long either. Then the mouse has a completely helpless scorpion with which to devour at its leisure. Though, depending on how much venom was injected (if any was injected to being with, as its possible the mouse could avoid the sting entirely), the mouse might be feeling pretty shitty or even dying after the meal.

its also possible that the mouse may choose to attack the stinger first, if typical mice have such knowledge/instincts available to them. There are alot of desert rodents that prey upon scorpions and other arthropods, and these guys could eat a scorpion without getting stung at all.

· WWTCD?
8,963 Posts
Scorpions don't really eat cool food. Crickets, mostly.

As for the mouse thing, I think that's been covered sufficiently. God forbid what would happen if you tried a rat. (I've seen rats f*ck up decent sized snakes fairly easily.) The only thing the scorpion might be able to handle is a frozen/thawed pinkie (baby, hairless mouse). And that's basically a full grown Emperor Scorpion.

As for the comment on what type of scorpion it was... Sure. It does depend on that. But your pet store variety is most likely always going to be an Emperor. Just from my personal experience.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
i fet mine on a staple diet of crickets and mealworms with the occasional pinkie and cockroach.
Cockroaches put up a good fight and the scorp had to use its stinger on it (the only time it ever stung anything).
I would reccomend a big 'roach over a mouse as it poses no threat to the scorp

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
how exactly did the roach 'put up a good fight'? did it try biting back at it, standing its ground, or what? or did the scorp just have a hard time catching it cuz the roach was so fast? you had an emperor scorpion i presume? were the roach and scorp the same size?

makes me wanna get one now so i can witness epic battles

after all, its not like my 10g is in use

anyone care to share more detailed accounts of their scorpions eating pinkies? were the pinkies live or dead? did the scorpion try to messily dismember the pinky with its claws, or did it just grab the pinkie, and hold it up to its chelicerae and gnaw at leisure while the pinkie was still live (unless you fed it a dead one)

· Registered
1,575 Posts
it was a VERY large 'roach and it just wouldnt stop thrashing around, and they are supprisingly strong. took ages for it to die

Ive fed it dead pinkies, and it just gnaws at it, nothing spectactular. iven if it was live, it would be dead in seconds as the pincers are so srtong and pinkies are so weak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.