Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My planted tank is becoming a bit tricky. Even though I have no algae blooms, over a month or so algae will develop on the leaves of my plants and I can't really do much about it. I'm looking for a pleco that will have the common sense to stay out of my rhoms way. He's going to have a ton of hiding places, literally at least a dozen because the tank will be heavily planted, yet the common pleco I tried with my reds was stupid enough to just plop himself on the glass and not avoid the piranhas causing him to need to be removed before he got eaten. I basically want a fish that can clean algae but knows to stay clear of my rhom, maybe even only come out at night (though my rhom seems to never sleep), any suggestions? My lfs isn't great for pleco selection, but they get siamese algae eaters (not a pleco obviously), bristlenose plecos, commons, rhinos, otto cats and your basic commonly found algae eaters. Suggestions are appreciated, the fish will have lots of hidings spots, but if he doesn't make use of them, he might become lunch.

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
i tried chinese algae eaters once and i have like no hiding and they lasted for about

a week and a half , you could get em pretty small too which might work in your tank

with all the hiding it could be easier for a small guy or few, their farely cheap too

fire foxes, look pretty much like CAE's

if you go pleco i think a common is the way to go, mainly to just test things out you know.

no need to spend all that money on a fancy snack

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
it'd be hard to find one that's inconspicuous and/or alert enough to do the job w/ out getting toasted. A larger tank may be your best bet to support another fish and keep the rhom busy enough to leave it alone. If you have a powerhead or two, a good choice would be a hillstream loach which can kinda jump or fly around (due to it's shape) and does seem to hide well. Requires smooth rocks/stones to cling on to eat algea.

check it: LINK

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Traumatic, if you were the baby in your avatar I would grab you by your big bald head and kiss you, my lfs has those and it sounds like it would be perfect for my tank.
[snapback]888832[/snapback]​
awwww

it's my son
he says they're cool too.

I had one once and didn't know much about them, it didnt' survive. But that's cool you like them, not many people want river tanks. Let us know what you do! And please document fully w/ your marvelous photos

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've had some luck with otto cats. Threw 3 of them into my tank and they lasted for about 2 months before they started disappearing. My P would wait for them to start sucking on the glass and pick them off- he's a smart little bugger :laugh:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
my albino plec is really active, but as soon as any of my africans come anywhere near him he's straight of into a cave. dont no if it would work in your set up though

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I'm initially going to start with SAEs or CAEs (one is supposedly a great janitor, the other not so good... if only I remembered which) and test my rhom out a bit. They're pretty cheap so if he lets them live for any appreciable amount of time, I'll look into a pleco as I find them more interesting and attractive. I don't give the guy live foods but he is a wild fish and its probably fairly hardwired that "small swimming fish = tasty" in his brain, so I'm cautious about expecting too much from this.

As for the river tank... definately considering it. It'd be cool to do a natural biotope kind of tank.

·
Registered
251 Posts
good luck Eltwitcho, my rhom and branditi that share a tank with divider are both pretty agressive, but their letting my pleco live, (the pleco can get back and fourth but not enough room for my P's to get back and fourth)

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys, we'll see how it goes. They seem pretty clear on my rhom needs alot of space, they get close to him if he's sitting still but the moment he starts moving they bolt to the other side of the tank, and they stick to cover pretty well and don't spend too too much time out in the open. We'll see how it goes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts