Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know loads of you will be keeping other fish with your piranhas, so what have you got?

Personally I have 2 red bellys and a severum, not to mention whats in the non-piranha tanks (but I'm not alowed to talk about them on this all-piranha website)

also what other crazy pets do you have? I bet most of you have something bizzarre!

me? - I have a spotted salamander, an axolotl, and 2 fire belly newts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Personally I have 2 red bellys and a severum, not to mention whats in the non-piranha tanks (but I'm not alowed to talk about them on this all-piranha website)"

Don't have time for some real pets huh?

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
i had a pacu in with my p's. then i took him out and put him in with a jack dempsy. jack didnt like pacu

·
Registered
159 Posts
The best thing to keep with the P's is a couple white mice but only for a minute!

Just kidding Innes. I think we about beat that into the ground. I keep only reds. I did have a clown knife that lasted about 2 weeks with them. He was 3 times their size. He went after them a bunch of times. They went after him once and that was that.

Why did I thow a clown knife in with reds??? Cuz I'm nuckin futs. Actually, I wanted to see how he would do. That and his tank broke late one night. He did quite well for awhile.

My P's still look at me sometimes like "hey man, got any more of those knifes?" Two of them puked him back up. Must not be as tasty as the feeders! :rockin:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishman2 said:
Don't have time for some real pets huh?

like what?
piranhas?

yes I do! :laugh:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I just sit on the internet, by my fish tanks and make stupid comments on message boards all day, all week, all year!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have crawfish with mine. they keep the bottom of the tank clean. to bad when they get bigger my p's eat them.

i have 5 rbp and 1 caribe in a 130 gallon tank and i have 1 caribe in a 55 gallontank.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi! I have a 55 with 2 9" reds.I have had 3 tinfoil barbs in with them from the beginning.The tinfoils are about 7".They get a nipped tail once in a while,but no serious damage in over a year.They add alot of motion to my tank as well.
Later Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got :

2rbp 6"
1 oscar 4"
1 managuense 4"
1 pleco 4"
1 crayfish 3"

they have been fine for a month now...
but lets see what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
4 red bellies with 2 severum, an icthy-whatever-sucker fish and 2 blue crayfish. All happy campers. Actually, when the Ps go on the attack, the severum join in the swarm. Kinda weird, but I think they think they are P, and the Ps dont know any different

And, I tried a clown knife too. Right after I floated him and let him go, the Ps and severum swarmed him, I barely got him out of the tank in one piece. And he was a good 9" too. He must have looked like a T bone floating around. Pet shop guy was a little puzzled when I returned a mauled knife fish 1 hour after I bought him :D Funny thinf is, he thought the knife might eat the smaller of my Ps, not the reverse.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jabster said:
4 red bellies with 2 severum, an icthy-whatever-sucker fish and 2 blue crayfish. All happy campers. Actually, when the Ps go on the attack, the severum join in the swarm. Kinda weird, but I think they think they are P, and the Ps dont know any different

And, I tried a clown knife too. Right after I floated him and let him go, the Ps and severum swarmed him, I barely got him out of the tank in one piece. And he was a good 9" too. He must have looked like a T bone floating around. Pet shop guy was a little puzzled when I returned a mauled knife fish 1 hour after I bought him :D
how big are they?

·
Registered
209 Posts
one is 5-6" one is 4-5" and the 2 small ones are ~2". The severum are about 3". Oh, and one nickel sized P in another tank. Tried to add two of them, but the bigger guys ate one, so I seperated the other for now.

I think the reason they get along with the severum so well is because they were in the tank first. The Ps just accepted them as part of their new and better home, rather than a new intruder into their established home.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As you might have read before I also have a severum and it has been their before I got my piranhas, it is 7" compared to my piranhas 4-5" and he pushes them around, but I get more and more worried about him.
Also I only have 2 piranhas and my tank is quite small 20 - gallons, so I might be giving away my piranhas soon before they get bigger and eat my severum.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have been experamenting a little with my fish and I have tryed.
1 a oscar. died
2 a red devil. died
3 A pacu. died.
4 A comet (very large like 20") died found him yesterday dead and a head.
So I have now come to beleave what ever I put in the tank is gonna get eaten.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
This is what I have with my 6 reds (at the moment: it changes from time to time; I wonder why :laugh: )

2 Common Plecos
4 Spotted Talking Catfish
6 Bronze Cories
2 Leopard Cories
3 Schwartzi Cories
3 Emperor Tetras
3 Glowlight Tetras
3 Serpae Tetras
5 Rummy-Nose Tetras
5 Neon Tetras
3 Marble Hatchetfish
(these are all Southamerican fish)

3 Fivebanded Barbs
1 Zebra Barb
2 Kribensis; (male and female
:
: )
(non-Southamerican)

I guess this sounds like asking for a blood bath, but most of these fish live with the reds for at least a couple of months now, and some some of them for as long as 9 months (the pleco's, the Fivebanded barbs).

Why? I have no clue

1 - 20 of 37 Posts