Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to find out what type of fish i can put into a large pond with piranhas that will not eat fish fry. i want to have the highest rate of survival for piranha fry if they breed and i would like to have fish in with the piranhas so that they can eat and take out their aggression and hunger on other fish instead of themselves, the only prob is that cichlids will destroy any fry if i happen to get some. so id like to know if anybody knows of any fish that wont eat fish fry except for the pleco?

any help would be appreciated,
thnx.

·
Registered
31 Posts
im trying to find out what type of fish i can put into a large pond with piranhas that will not eat fish fry. i want to have the highest rate of survival for piranha fry if they breed and i would like to have fish in with the piranhas so that they can eat and take out their aggression and hunger on other fish instead of themselves, the only prob is that cichlids will destroy any fry if i happen to get some. so id like to know if anybody knows of any fish that wont eat fish fry except for the pleco?

any help would be appreciated,
thnx.
hmmm all i can think of according to ur descriptions are concvicts.. but they are cichlids.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
in a large pond fry will have a higher survival rate. with more places to hide and more gallons per fish more vaunerable fish stand greater chances of survival. any fish can and will eat fry given the right conditions. it will be hard to monitor any progress in a pond. if you have a large shoal of piranha you may not have any mating unless the pond is large enough to allow for pairing with an established school of like species fish. and to keep a regualr stock of prey for that fish will definately buffer inter-speicies aggression.
in all honesty, the best pond ready fish that will provide good nourishment for piranha and allow them to go unharmed while holding their own established community would be sunfish. sunfish are about the same size as a typical p. nattereri when adult, and they are active and hardy enough to establish some footground around predatorial fish. you may need to self stock them though since what you want is 2 species of fish to cycle their own numbers, a small lake is best for that rather than a pond. a pond is a controlled environment still. a large outdoor tank if you will. youll need to monitor some fashion of controlling numbers.
in any case, i still recommend sunfish and planting something like anacharis to help create cover for young fry. anacharis will also grow in poor light which and does not need to stay rooted and is incredibly cheap.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k thanks alot guys for your responses, i think im going to heavily plant the pond first and maybe invest in some sunfish or pacu perhaps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts