Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just got a tank for free my other is at my friends house so ill use this one for now. the tank size is 3 ft long, 21 in tall, 12 1/2 width. i believe its a 50 gallon. i was wondering what type of filter system should i get. i was thinking of a marine land 350B. i have 3 small reds going in there untill i can get my 75 gal from my friends house. i was wondering what would work the best. it also has a undergravel filter in there i will prob leave it in there i guess it cant hurt. my other question is were can i buy parts to the UG filter. i need a cap to plug a hole and some UG small filter and elbows because right now all it has one the top is a protective thing that fish cant swim down into. just wondering what you all would recomend.

·
Registered
551 Posts
from everything i've heard and experienced with undergravel filters you may not want to have it in there period. the 350 sounds good though, i use 1 on my 60 in addition to a oddysea 3

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
yea...the magnum 350 should be fine......And maybe..If you have some cash sticking out your pockets....you should buy a emperor 400, or aquaclear 110(aka 500)....

·
5,336 Posts
i run an XP3 fillstar on both of my 55gals, with 2 large hob filters, and the undergravel is a circle jerk... stuff builds up underneath and makes water quality terrible, so you have to clean under it, which involves storing all the water or recycleing your tank once a month or so... if not be prepared for MASSIVE water changes bi-weekly.... take it out and just put the gravel or sand in and gravel vac that shiz out when you clean...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so should i just have 1 filter i been reading and some people have 2. is there any reason for this or is it just because of the size.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i want to get a good filter system which would be the best buy i want to keep the ps healthy. but i dont want to speed 100+ dollars. is aqua clear or empor better?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Is this same filter going to be transfered over to your 75 when you set it up or do you already have filtration for the 75? If it is going to be moved to the 75 when you set it up I would consider a small canister maybe a fluval 304 or 404...In addition I would do away with the under gravel filter...Eventually stuff will build up under it and cause problems for you..Just my opinion..One theory behind 2 filters as opposed to one is if one breaks down you have a back up..Another reason for 2 is better filtration..Many people use 2 filters one at either end if the tank.Good Luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got filter for the 75 but i need one for the 50. should i go with 1 aquaclear or 2 penguin 350s or just 1 penguin 350? i like the way aquaclear looks after reading some reviews it seems good. i was wondering it looks like there are 3 filters that goes with it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
get the aqua clear...people often use more then one to help move water around, better circulation...and depending on how messy their fish is, in this case they want to keep the ammonia down which is cause by dead fish/food or whatnot which can kill the p

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Aqua Clear filters are indeed very nice..If you must go with a H.O.B my vote is AC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so do you think the aquaclear by its self would be good enough or should i throw something else in there. sorry for all the questions. just need something that will keep the fish alive and healthy.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Go for the penguins....the biowheel will better allow for the growth of benefical bacteria.
The emps are awesome...they do a bang up job of filtering as well.

I always thought that the AC's had no biowheel.....could be wrong, but if im not then definitely go with something that will provide very good bio filtration

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 3 Penguin 350B's on my 125 gal. tank and have had them running for 2 weeks. The filtration and bio wheel features seem to work very well. I am disappointed with the noise level of the Penguins, something I had never considered as I didn't forsee the noise from them would be an issue. The flilters are reletively silent, but the "trickle, splash" they make is a bit more than I had bargained for. The noise is more than I expected... and I get it no matter what level the water is, low or high. I have tried the tricks suggested for making them quieter, to no avail. I thought they might quiet down after a couple of weeks, but they haven't as of yet. I now wish I had opted for the canister route and will probably do so in the near future. Petsmart has the Penguin 350B's for a great price and with free shipping and 10% off... I picked up 3 of them for a total of $72.00 shipped. I thought that over 1000 GPH of filtration was a deal at $72.00. If noise is not an issue... they work quite well.

Gary

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so do you think 1 emp or 1 peng will be enough i think its a 50 gal tall. or should i get 2 of them? its 3 ft long. 12.5 depth 21 in tall. i dunno if 2 emps or 2 peng will be to much filtration i dunno if you can overdue it or not.

sorry if my talking doesnt make much sense its 3 am here and its fianls week college sucks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts