Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really suspicious about the filter i am using, its a 40 gal. tank made(by jebo) for aquruim fish so the one that came with it will just be made for regular fish...i will post pics of my filter so could c what is it called..has an air nozel,uses a motor to pump up water to this tube with holes and under them is some kind of soft cotton fiber,,,the water is filtered throw this membrane and back into the tank on the other side...its like a cheap all/in/1 product that not working 4 me...ny other better coices

can i take these cottton memberames and clean then and put them back, or does the bacteria live there, I dont have any sort of rotting smel, the membrane smelt fine no rot,,,plz help

its a 40 gal. OVERSTOCKED with 8 RBP's,,,will be etting a new home soon (am not hat cruell)

Attachments

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
look like a wet/dry sump...one of the best filteration...but i can be wrong about this..

the last pic look like an overflow..

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
first time ive seen a filter like that....can you post a few more pics???

your right that is overstocked...are you upgrading soon???

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
Looks like a whacked out Marineland Eclipse Hood style filter w/o the biowheel. I'm surpirsed the spray bar doesn't get plugged. You should be able to rinse/replace that white pad when needed. Is there any biological material below the pad?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Well that thing does not look like a filter to me at all.
There is only a thin pad for capturing some dirt particles.
Where is the bio media? How about the water circulation power?

Harry

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Are there bio balls or something under the filter media?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If I'm right, that set up is in the hood right? It has a powerhead that pumps water up in the hood, then through the spraybar onto the course foam pads, the through the drain back to the tank. I have seen some like that on juwel tanks. It is ok, but probably a little limited in capacity for very many fish. Maybe you could add a canister filter to that set up, along with the existing filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes Maddyfish,,,u r 100% correct
no bio media ar anything other than that cotton membrane...as i said i think that tank/ filter combo was maybe 4 goldfish and da sorts,,not P's..i did not know better or even this forum before...NOW I KNOW

at my lfs they only had the fluval 204 (rated at 50 g) or da 304 (rated at 70g),,,can i just it up to my tank in conjuction with what i have...till it gets cyclt then get rid of my crappy filter or just use it as the oxygen source for my tank.....

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
at my lfs they only had the fluval 204 (rated at 50 g) or da 304 (rated at 70g),,,can i just it up to my tank in conjuction with what i have...till it gets cyclt then get rid of my crappy filter or just use it as the oxygen source for my tank.....
Definitely get another filter (either the 204 or 304...IMO bigger is better if you are planning on putting a p in there). If it works out, you could keep the original and fill that bay with biomedia after the fluval cycles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe i didnt make it clear but my tank 40g tank allready has 8 3"RBP in it,,,I KNOW I KNOW,,,got da tank, then da fish a day later, then found this forum,,,never knew what cycling was, or that yu need 20g for each P as a min....OHHHH

Investing in a 160-180g tank in the near future......just want to get this tank stable and cycled before losing any of the RBP and then with consintrate on da new tank and do it propery....

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If you're looking to get a bigger tank in the future, then get a canister fitler that would be of a useful size to the bigger tank, like an rena xp3. Put it on there until you get your bigger tank, then transfer it to the new tank, add the fish, and add another filter like an emporer 400, or ac500. I wouldn't scrap your in hood filter right now, even when you get your new filter, because you new filter won't have any bacterial build up for several weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts