Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys consider "Photoshopping" a pic. Do you mean no photoshop what so ever? Not even Levels or brightness and contrast? Are you allowed to crop?

Obviously any pic that has been heavily doctored, like changing the focal point by blurring parts of the pic, or combining elements from multiple images would fall into the Photoshoped category. Where do you draw the line?

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
I'm going to make a clearly defined set of rules for POTM in the future actually. The cut off line is this basically. You can do anything your camera does for you, in photoshop if you want that degree of manual control.

What you can do:
Adjustment to color balance
Adjustment to contrast
Adjust the brightness
You can blur the entire image or increase the sharpness of the entire image (again supported by your camera) but you CANNOT selectively sharpen parts of the image or blur certain parts. Layering is not allowed.
Cropping
Resizing

What you can't do:
Selective blurring
Selective sharpening
Selective color adjustment
Dodging or burning
CLONE BRUSH
Combining elements of two or more seperate photographs

That's basically it. The basis for my reasoning was that people are allowed to manually do what ever it is that their camera does automatically if they so desire. Any function that is not supported by the camera, such as selective image editing is not allowed. I used this train of thought because it's stupid to say "you can't do color balancing" when the camera ALWAYS color balances anyway. Same thing with sharpness, or contrast. To say you can't do such a thing manually in photoshop gives an unfair advantage to those people with better cameras that have better auto white balancing.

So as for what other people say, well that's fine, I make the rules anyway and this is how it's going to be

·
Photo Whore
2,656 Posts
Hard question to answer,
i think elTwitch is planning on re writing the potm comp rules to be a little more specific about photoshop :nod:
wish i knew how to use photoshop properly

*edit....^.told you^

·
Photo Whore
2,656 Posts
I think you've covered it pretty well there Twitch

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Don't get me wrong, for a DISPLAY picture, I will do selective editing like only sharpening the fish and not the background to not make the particles in the water stand out, but I don't enter something like that in POTM. I don't feel that selective editing is in any way "cheating" a picture since I've never stated that I'm a documentary photographer, I'm someone who tries to make pictures that are beatiful to look at, period. HOWEVER, I don't think such a thing should be allowed in the POTM since not everyone knows photoshop and as far as a competition is concerned, it is an unfair advantage.

So my posted pictures are usually modified to a small extent, because of my philoshopy that there is more to just taking a good picture than clicking and being done with it (as anyone who uses a real darkroom will agree with) however I like to keep it fair for competitions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts