Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you guys own wolfiish?? what do you think of them and how do they act around you? thinking of getting one cuz they look badass, but was wondering if they are really worth it. I heard they are boring.. then i hear they are badass. Anyone have one that can give me some insight on these monsters

thanks!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I've owned a common wolffisg (hoplias malabaricus) for about three months. I must say that it was a very interesting fish to own. During daytime he wasn't active, but at night he was stalking and attacking everything in his tank.

And off course wolfs have a great prehistoric look with some impressive set of teeth.
If you want an active predator I wouldn't go for the common wolf fish

There are species that are more active than the common wolf, like the hi fin wolf

·
The Lord Himself is Life to me
4,283 Posts
All of my commons were fairly active during the day. Would swim down feeders, eat from the top of the water and by hand, and they would do the tooth dance on the glass when you came into the room.

With commons, as with most all of the wolfish( I guess fish in general for that matter) tank setup is important. I keep my dimly lit with plants and driftwood. They like to lurk around and feel hidden so they can ambush their prey.

Most any hoplias are good, provided you have the tank size. If you can get your hands on one, the golds are pretty nice as well. Pretty active and agressive.

In short, IME wolfish are a great fish to own. I would get one for the experience alone.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a wolf for a couple months, and I gotta say, he was a boring fish. Kinda just sat around all day.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I find my wolf swims up to the top of the tank whenever I come over to his tank! So If you feed him the same way I do he will be active when u want him to. lol they are very cool fish, I would recommend him check out my two threads! I have two feeding videos out there somewhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.