Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had red bellies and I had black gravel for them. It brought their color out, I thought so anyways. I have a golf spilo now and I dont know if I am not noticing his gold because I still hae black grvel or because he is only like 3" and he hasnt begun to show his gold yet. I can still see the black spots clearly on his body. Whats going on. SHould I change the gravel color to make his gold come out more and if so what color would be best???? Personal experiences would help.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I use sand which seems to bring the color out VERY nice in spilos. Nice silver color with gold bellies. You might want to give that a try. Plus I just like the look of sand bottom tanks as opposed to gravel. More realistic. All rivers/lakes I have ever been to had sand bottoms, not this pea gravel stuff (or black gravel). Gives the tank a nice natural look, while at the same time complementing the spilo color nicely.

~~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
If anything sand is easier IMO. Sh!t pretty much stays on the surface. I do loose some sand during water changes due to it being sucked into the python. For the 180 gallon that amounts to about a teaspoon to tablespoon amount. Not that much at all considering a 50 lbs bag of sand will only run you 3-4 bucks.

~~Dj

·
Registered
834 Posts
I do agree with sand looking better than gravel the ony two things i find troubling with sand is your fish stirring it up and then it getting into the filter and screwing up the filter. Also i can imagine doing a vacuming on the substrate a pain since it will probably suck up some sand.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Outie said:
your fish stirring it up and then it getting into the filter and screwing up the filter.
Yep this has presented a problem to some people. I personally use a wet/dry so sand that is kicked up is never really a problem since the WD's prefilter is located at the top of the tank.

~~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I think the basic idea is lighter the better. If you want good coloration then go with sand. If sand is not a possiblity, the go with the lightest sand colored gravel you can get.

Keep us posted as to what affects you notice in your fish after the change.

~~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I went to a home improvement store called homedepot and bought the sand that is used to fill children sand boxes. Its called "play sand" I believe. Only thing is, it is dusty as hell. So you have to rinse it VERY good before putting it in the tank other wise it will cloud up. Not so bad considering you can get 50 lbs for only 3-4 bucks.

~~dj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts