Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't recall seeing this subject.
Let's hear what canister filter you like most and why,
also which to avoid and why.
Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Financially speaking I would go with a Mag- 350 canister...If the funds are there, you cant go wrong with Eheims or Renas

·
Registered
222 Posts
Eheim 2028. Holds 12 liters of media versus 15 ounces for the Magnum. Europeans favor slower turnover with more contact time. Americans favor large turnover. Eheim low current draw.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
moeplz said:
Rena XP-3...never had a problem with it, its a little pricey but god its good.
[snapback]955761[/snapback]​
I'm glad to hear that it's good, because I have been planning on purchasing one for my new 130 gallon tank.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
how much did you pay for an xp3 i got mine for like 110 or something didnt seem that expensive when compared to others....but to answer the original question i like the xp3 alot.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you want the best, buy Eheim. That's really all there is to say about it. I have 2 2217's running on my 180 and I can't hear them. Have to look for current to see if they are still running...

As someone said here at some time or another, they are "reassuringly expensive"

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Eheims - I've never used another brand, and can't think of a reason to get another brand either...
They're pricey, but the value for money is unbeatable: very efficient, very quiet and easy to maintain. As said, not as powerful as American filters (as far as gallons per hour goes), but definitely more efficient.

The cheapest ones are the ones from the Classic product line.

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
THe XP3 here runs around $223 at PetSmart $250 @ LSF that usually give great deals.
Fluval 404s range from $199-$350
I haven't found the Eheims localy but BigAls has them for $289.99 Canadian.
Let's hear more about them.
*p.s.
first post was by me on Tracy's account.

G

·
Eheims all the way. Fluvals aren't bad but it many ways could be better, my older one rattles. For the price of a reasonable Fluval you can get a budget Eheim. My Eheims I have never had a fault with. I use Eheim canisters all the way now, Fluval lives in the cellar. I also use a Eheim return pump from my marine sump, again faultless. I have nothing but faith in this company!

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
I have been running Eheim for over ten years now and haven't had any problems. I went with the Eheim classic 2217's and 2213's (they come with the media) Eheim are well worth the "extra" few dollars.

btw: Eheim now manufactures Ebo Jager heaters.

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
I have a Fluval 304 stuffed full of Biomax and it hasn't done me wrong yet. Its quiet, and it does it's job. Plus I paid $79 new and it flows 260 GPH. Would definitly buy a Fluval again.

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
I personnally favor Fluvals , However I would like to try a Xp3 one day and a Ehiem Filter . I just get a great deal on fluval and thats why I Havent switched .

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Another vote for Eheim canisters. I have 3 different models and never been dissapointed. Easy to maintain when you need to.....like every 6 months.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Dr.Zoidberg said:
THe XP3 here runs around $223 at PetSmart $250 @ LSF that usually give great deals.
Fluval 404s range from $199-$350
I haven't found the Eheims localy but BigAls has them for $289.99 Canadian.
Let's hear more about them.
*p.s.
first post was by me on Tracy's account.
[snapback]956384[/snapback]​
Wait......look at this XP3 from PetsMart.com......
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1112312314471
They are only $104.99, not $223. How is that possible? Were you off on your numbers? or is this what I should expect to pay if I order online($104.99), and then $223 if I walk into a local PetsMart? I'm confused and a little scared, because I have no anticipitation of paying $223 for one.
~Taylor~

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
[/quote]Wait......look at this XP3 from PetsMart.com......
They are only $104.99, not $223. How is that possible? Were you off on your numbers? or is this what I should expect to pay if I order online($104.99), and then $223 if I walk into a local PetsMart? I'm confused and a little scared, because I have no anticipitation of paying $223 for one.
~Taylor~
[snapback]957545[/snapback]​
[/quote]

He lives in Canada so thats why there is so much of a difference in price.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Wait......look at this XP3 from PetsMart.com......
~Taylor~
[snapback]957545[/snapback]​
[/quote]

He lives in Canada so thats why there is so much of a difference in price.
[snapback]957553[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Thank God!!! I almost crapped my pants for a minute

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have used a fluval 404 for 6 months until lately it sucked up some java moss and started rattling and started to leak. It has been switched out to a mag 350 which I just read about. Come to find out a mag 350 is not much of a biological filter but more of a mechanical filter. I did not buy it and have not used it personally yet because I am away from home till august. Curious what others have to say about the mag 350...?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts