Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can ya'll tell me about Butikofferis Butikofferis? I've read the basic info off of the web, yet I still want to know more.

like what they like their water parameters at, and such.
are they inteligent? are they social with humans outside the tank?

anything else you can add about its temperment or even stories of the sh*t yours did or are doing would be cool too.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
for all practical purposes, they're identical in terms of behavior and care requirements to central american cichlids. Big aggressive rugged fish, that can be very personable indeed if kept alone. No special water parameters or feeding requirements. They seem especially inclined to dig and move around decorations in their tank. Males *can* get up to 16" in length, though most seem to stay in the 12-14" range. A 75g would be suitable for one, but a 180g would be necessary long-term if you wished to keep it with other large cichlid tankmates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My butti is kept alone and is very personable. When I am sitting at my desk he constantly begs for food by bitting at the glass to get my attention. Any plastic plant I put in gets destroyed - the stems get ripped out from the base. He lets me pet him, but I don't usually stick my hand to far in the tank because anything like nets or algae scrapers get viciously attacked! Great fish!

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have a buttokaferi in the same tank with my piranhas,(2 brandtis)and they are scared to death of my buttokaferi,when he comes around they get the hell out of dodge.they are the meanest cichlid there is,they even will kill a red devil.also my buttokaferi is only 2 inches and my piranhas are5 inch.hes not abit intemidated

crash

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
i had one of those at my work. He was the meanest f*cker i have ever met. he would attack your hand through the glass. he took out a red devil and a jag over night. pick tank mates wisely. Over all they are sweet looking fish. also dont get a sponge filter wit hem. we went through 4 sponges. Pain in the ass,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts