Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 rb p, and have been reading about all of these different types of p all you guys have. Can I mix any other types of p in with them? Or do I have to stick to just rbs?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Yep, You can mix them with p.cariba, p. piraya and the yellow p.natteri. aka ternetzi.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raptor said:
Yep, You can mix them with p.cariba, p. piraya and the yellow p.natteri. aka ternetzi.
ok so if i have 5 rb in my 150 gallon tank. What type of mixe should I go for? im not to fimilar with other p.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Look at the species factsheet on the main fourum page. Then look at pictures at the picture gallery here. Make a decision which you like most. If ya ask me though. I would get 3 cariba's a ternetzi and a piraya. That will set your tank off nicely.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You can have up to 9 Pygos in your 150g...i always recommend Caribas and Terns (not so cheap)...but if you have enough money you can buy Pirayas (more expensive) too!

I would go with 5 Reds and 4 Caribas or...

3 Reds, 3 Caribas, 2 Terns (Yellow nattereri) and 1 Piraya...this is selling 2 of your Reds!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I personally dont car for mixed tanks. I more like the uniformity and cohesiveness of a single species tank.

~Dj

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
I personally dont car for mixed tanks. I more like the uniformity and cohesiveness of a single species tank.
Same here!
And even though an aquarium will never even closely resemble a fish's natural habitat, I prefer a biotope tank, with fish (and even plants) that share the same range in the wild, thus attempting to reconstruct that biotope as much as possible...

But, of course, tastes differ :smile:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Ive had mixed tank and single species tank, my opinion is sell your reds and order about 8 or 9 Cariba from one of the sellers, they are the cheapest pygo that you dont have, and man are the aggressive eaters

over time you would probably need to cut them back to 6 or so but you will make money on them as they get bigger they are worth more

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Raptor said:
If ya ask me though. I would get 3 cariba's a ternetzi and a piraya. That will set your tank off nicely.

A mixed tank is always a badass!! But for me.. theres no excitment if your mixed tank consists of an individual Pygo from each of the species. A shoal of different PYGO mix.. now thats something for someone to bragg about!!!

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sh*t, now im confused on what I should get. Do different species of P shoal together? Or do they only shoal with there own species? I want a cool looking tank!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd say each has it's advantages. In a single species tank you can enjoy seeing how the fish act in shoal/group. In a mixed tank each species tend to stay seperate from each other. The main advantage is seeing ALL 4 species in one tank and being able to see how each is different from one another.

I enjoy the mixed tank, here are some PICS of my mixed tank so you can see what YOU might like.

Mixed tank

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LarryMoeCurly said:
I'd say each has it's advantages. In a single species tank you can enjoy seeing how the fish act in shoal/group. In a mixed tank each species tend to stay seperate from each other. The main advantage is seeing ALL 4 species in one tank and being able to see how each is different from one another.

I enjoy the mixed tank, here are some PICS of my mixed tank so you can see what YOU might like.

Mixed tank
Dude your tank looks killer! I like that. I think I need to do a little more research before I decide though.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im starting to think that I might just buy like 5 Terns to go with my 5 rbs. Seems to be the best mix. Im guessing they will get along ok since they are very similar. My rbs are about 2-3" right now, how big should I get the Terns? And how much does the size I need usually go for$$$ ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.