Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
What causes death ?

I have helped a friend of mine setup a tank with Super-reds, now they all are dead, and I can not explain it

Well here is what I know.
They wore dying at 2 weeks intervals, the pre-death dance was violent-crazy swimming and bumping into things, followed by floating or thinking on the side with heavy breasing.
There wore no visible signs of any decease.
No water testing was done, how-ever the fish did not act as if there was a water chemistry problem. The filter was media was at least 6 month old, including the charcoal
Tap water was always conditioned in tank by adding chemicals, and water changes wore regular.
The feeder fish was purchased at the same respectable dealer.
The tank system is 1.5 years old of which Piranhas have lived there for 1 year.

I keep P's also, and I am guilty of all the same mistakes that you see here, mine are well, fat and happy…

thanks

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
the bumping about and floating and sinking could be do to swim bladder infections. i believe that is caused by bad water conditions but could be wrong. sorry for your buddy's loss.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
say, is it posible for the swim bladder to get damaged from blasting music next to the tank ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Piranha Guy said:
What about a lack of oxygen in the tank? But the music could be it as well.
[snapback]935501[/snapback]​
it's a 55g tank with 5 -1y.o p's a magnum 350 filter with a Bio-weal (that oxygenates water) and he had an air-stone powered filter in use...

If there is not enough oxygen, then the fish tends to swim on top, kinda grasping for air...

It was probably the swim bladder damage...

I am not sure as to what caused it...

also from what I have seen in swim-bladder damage the fish dies of lack of nutrition because it can not feed, but these wore acting like crazy, and they did not have problems finding or food...

when I saw one the body, I sought that died due to brain damage because it had was banged up badly against objects in the tank...

When I saw another body I sought that it was due to nAtural population control... she was pregnant and her gut was eaten...

man, this is an impossible guess game, but I would like to know what killed them before I get him more fish....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Death from stress can easily be caused by too much stimulus.....stereo, lots of appliances, exessive movement the fish may precieve as threatening. But I would not even try to fig it out withou performing water tests regaurdless of how the tank was setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so we have damage or infections of swim bladder, due to any or a combination of the following:
desiese,
poor water conditions,
exesive stress

Thank you all, that sounds reasonable and probabale...

·
Banned
11,729 Posts
didnt act as if the water was bad? and the p's were bumping into things and swimming upside down? if you're going to invest money into keeping fish, invest money into test kits, and use them regularly, dont put any fish in that tank until its paremeters are safe. go get some test kits, and dont buy another fish until you have them. also, if you're going to use carbon, use carbon, dont leave it in your filter for 6 months, change it after a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts