Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to set up my 10 gal to look like this. What are these plants?

i got 5wpg good enough?

and instead of that thing in the left corner i want to use some bushy like plant. some sort of clover maybe?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Here we go... left side back, java moss on a sponge filter, left front is some sort of crypt, back right appears to be normal java fern on a log or something, front right is a huge clump of what looks like java moss, though may be taiwan... then a couple large rocks, few neons, and I cant tell what plant is growing in the center foreground.

On to your other questions... 5wpg is WAY TOO MUCH! I tried doing a tank with 4wpg and it was a hellacious nightmare of a tank and is no longer running cause it was a constant headache... for the plants in that tank, you need 1wpg, 1.5wpg at the max otherwise it will turn into an algae factory and you will hate it with a passion.

As for other plants, there are tons you could use. People dont realize there are a few different species of java fern with different leaf shapes and I dont know if I could even name all of the varieties of crypts... not to mention all the other low light plants.

In all honesty, it isnt that great looking of a tank when it comes to plants IMO... you could do a lot more with a little effort and patience and have one outstanding looking tank... get some nice driftwood, some anubias, some taiwan moss, some cool looking crypts and you could really have a beautiful tank and it could be pretty low maitenance and just add a few ferts a couple times a week and people would be amazed.

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
damn i guess ill have to exchange the bulbs.

Coming across the box i realized that i have one 15 wat bulb and one 25 wat bulb.
ill leave the 15 wat in and take the 25 out, thatll give me 1.5 wpg.

co2 and ferts, what about those?

From what ive read co2 isnt that needed for small tanks an low care plants but it would benefit, right?
and i guess i need ferts?

Thanks for all the help mike

this is just maybe a 'test' planted tank and hopefully ill be able to plant bigger and better form there.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
If you just want to use this as more of a learning experience, the 15w bulb will work as long as it is within 6700-10K so that it it beneficial to the plants.

As far as CO2, I wouldnt worry about it at first, just try at first without it and then once you get used to taking care of it, you could try a small DIY system possibly... really though, I wouldnt worry about this at first, there are many other things Id worry about first.

As far as ferts go, you can do as many or as few as you want. Dippys post at the top about starting up a planted tank really goes over it pretty well... obviously the more effort you put into it, the more the plants will benefit and youll get better color and growth.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but might be hard for you to get some plants and of course everything is a lot more expensive up there.

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you just want to use this as more of a learning experience, the 15w bulb will work as long as it is within 6700-10K so that it it beneficial to the plants.

As far as CO2, I wouldnt worry about it at first, just try at first without it and then once you get used to taking care of it, you could try a small DIY system possibly... really though, I wouldnt worry about this at first, there are many other things Id worry about first.

As far as ferts go, you can do as many or as few as you want. Dippys post at the top about starting up a planted tank really goes over it pretty well... obviously the more effort you put into it, the more the plants will benefit and youll get better color and growth.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but might be hard for you to get some plants and of course everything is a lot more expensive up there.
thanks

there are some plant guru's in my area all check wiht them. And some local lfs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts