Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been reading post about diy wet/dry filters and im wondering if you need a pump to send the water from the sump(?).back to the tank??i was picturing it as like a canister filter..where its all sealed up but the in coming and outgoing holes..so when the water comes down from the tank and fills up the [canister,sump], the waters coming too strong that it'll send the water back up to the tank..is this what happens??or do you need an electrical pump to make it work??

·
Registered
589 Posts
No, you definitely need a pump to get the water from the sump back up to the tank, it wont work without it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got one more question..it needs the pump to send the water back up to the tank..does it need a pump to suck the water out of the tanks? how does that part work??or is it just siphoning ??

G

·
I am using gravity as a pump. I have a hole high in my tank which is pulled to the lower sump. Then a pump return the clean water back to the tank.

DB

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You are going to need a lot more research before you even think about getting one. It is hard to grasp the concept at first, but here it is in my best attempt. The water leaving the tank is regulated by an overflow. It can be internal, but most own hang-on-back overflows. What happens is the overflow is regulated to a certain GPH. Lets say your pump is pumping about 600 gph. The overflow needs to be rated for more than that so it can handle at least the amount being pumped into the tank. The water pumped into the tank goes back into the overflow leading down to the sump. So, the only water that is leaving your tank is through the overflow. The only water being pumped back into your tank is the water coming from the overflow into the sump. The overflow is regulated by the amount of water being pumped back into your tank. If the pump fails, then the overflow shuts down automatically and usually has to be restarted by you. when the pump shuts down it doesn't mean that the overflow will immediately stop. The overflow could flood your sump if it is placed to low inside of your tank. Its like a gravel vacuum in a way. Its the same principle as that. If the overflow messes up then the existing water in the sump will be pumped back into your tank and get pretty close to the edge. That is why it is best to have a large sump with as little water as possible. This is a crappy, quick description. Its the best that I can do. Good god its hard to explain, but look around and you will understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts