Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever set up a webcam on there tank?

ive found some set up for SW tanks but has anyone set up a web cam on there piranha's? im thinking about trying to water proof a web can and mount it insdie the tank. that would be cool to see tehm from inside the tank f it worked..

·
Registered
815 Posts
i tryed it but it was to dark and i never botherd to play with the settings i tryed it through msn to my mate but couldt see athing but i mite try again if i get time now ive got a better cam.

but if you do, do it pm me i wana see it

·
Registered
649 Posts
with how fast they swim u almost need the quality of a DV camcorder to make it look cool... i have contemplated the idea as well, but my cheapo monitor top cam doesnt have the res to make it look decent

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i can set up a webcam in front of my tank, but not in the water

·
8,401 Posts
I was thinking about doing this on my tank... I'll have to look into it

A cam in the water would really cool. I could fabricate an enclosure for an underwater cam..

I even have access to sony profesional lipstick cam with a seperate CCU. It belongs to my company, but I may be able to borrow it for a little while to capture some footage... A Piranhas eye view!!

·
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Civic Disobedience said:
I was thinking about doing this on my tank... I'll have to look into it

A cam in the water would really cool. I could fabricate an enclosure for an underwater cam..

I even have access to sony profesional lipstick cam with a seperate CCU. It belongs to my company, but I may be able to borrow it for a little while to capture some footage... A Piranhas eye view!!

[snapback]820958[/snapback]​
I came up with this idea about 6 months ago and havent been able to find a product like it yet. i dont have enough money time or motivation to build it yet but i havent told anyone because i know someone will get rich off of it and piss me off.. so if you make it and sell remember where the idea came from and send me one.. hook it up, hook me up

·
8,401 Posts
nismo driver said:

I came up with this idea about 6 months ago and havent been able to find a product like it yet. i dont have enough money time or motivation to build it yet but i havent told anyone because i know someone will get rich off of it and piss me off.. so if you make it and sell remember where the idea came from and send me one.. hook it up, hook me up
[snapback]821024[/snapback]​
Well... the waterproof enclosure is the cheaper part. It's just a matter of finding a way to seal up a box with a window, and leave a sealable cable hole. The cam is the expensive part. The cam I am going to borrow is a $2000.+ unit we use for doing "bump shots" of the control room. I just happen to have a spare we use for special events that I can borrow.

It is a manual lense too, so it has to be tweeked a bit before it can be mounted in the box. It does have an external CCU that you can control the white balance, video levels, and painting controls. It 's not the BEST picture (when compared to what our $100K+ studio cameras produce) But we do use it on air, and it can always be processed in our editing system.

Don't worry Bro!! I'll hook it up if it can be done! then I'll share the prototype with ya...

·
8,401 Posts
Filo said:
How would you have enough light for Ps? Unless you have a night vision setting.
[snapback]821032[/snapback]​
On a profesional cam you can control the Iris wich is what lets the light into the lense. You just open it up more for low light situations. I have 2 dual florecent lights on my tank with 18,000K bulbs for the plants, so my tank is pretty bright.

·
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Civic Disobedience said:
Well... the waterproof enclosure is the cheaper part. It's just a matter of finding a way to seal up a box with a window, and leave a sealable cable hole. The cam is the expensive part. The cam I am going to borrow is a $2000.+ unit we use for doing "bump shots" of the control room. I just happen to have a spare we use for special events that I can borrow.

It is a manual lense too, so it has to be tweeked a bit before it can be mounted in the box. It does have an external CCU that you can control the white balance, video levels, and painting controls. It 's not the BEST picture (when compared to what our $100K+ studio cameras produce) But we do use it on air, and it can always be processed in our editing system.

Don't worry Bro!! I'll hook it up if it can be done! then I'll share the prototype with ya...
[snapback]821037[/snapback]​
i was thinking of designing it more as a csae that you addapt to other web cams available on the market so it would be more afofordable for marketing reasons, something like a 30 opr 40 dollar case that you could snap your web cam into or modify it for use. the biggest thing would be having a decent quailty picture through the case and be able to have a good seal, like something with a tight o-ring seal and a good sealing gromet for the cable..

the main thing would be affordablity, no one want to spend two grand to put a camera in there 800 dollar set up fish tank, except maybe the reef guys..

my web cam is old as hell so i might go pick up a new one and open it up and see if i can adapt it to some kind a acrylic case that could mount in the cormer of the tank or the other idea would be to take one of those cams that have remote tilt pan zoom and focus controls and have it like a snow globe type water proof case, but again that would push the price up..

well we have some ideas out there lets do some developing and see what happens..

·
8,401 Posts
Ya know... a security cam might be the best way to go.

They sell small format security cams that have at least tilt pan and zoom. The only drawback is there is no Iris control, nor a CCU to manipulate the video levels and white balance...

A fully robotic head and lens control would be ASTRONOMICALY EXPENSIVE, not to mention rather LARGE...

It sure would be cool tho...

I am going to see what I can do, but I am a busy guy, so don't know just when I'll get to it... I need to get my wet/dry, and plumbing done first, but when I'm done I will try and put something together...

BEST FEEDING VID EVAR

·
8,401 Posts
OK... bored at work here so I did a lil searchin...

I found this: http://www.mninter.net/~boardman/

This guy sells plans, and a few needed parts to build an enclosure out of PVC pipe.

still searching around, but this looks pretty easy, and would fit the cam head for the Sony I have perfectly!!

·
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Civic Disobedience said:
OK... bored at work here so I did a lil searchin...

I found this: http://www.mninter.net/~boardman/

This guy sells plans, and a few needed parts to build an enclosure out of PVC pipe.

still searching around, but this looks pretty easy, and would fit the cam head for the Sony I have perfectly!!
[snapback]821160[/snapback]​
i think i might be able to form some thing out of plexi or acrylic if i can make a form and heat it in the oven.. this thread will most likely get lost and if this thing starts working out we should get a patent so ill PM you if i come up with somehting..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.