Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone think that 200 watts of lighting is too much for my little p's?

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Yes. Way too much light for a fish only tank. unless you're talking about a 200 gallon tank.

Now if you are working with plants thats a different story.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
depends i have 210w on my 135g, the plants are growing good!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 130 gallon with plants and drift wood 2 1/2 feet long so now what too much they freak out when it goes on like i mean swimming into glass and all but they havent had a top with lights since i moved them into the 130 a month ago so what do you think now?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
they will get used to it, but it may take a while. just stick with it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i have a 130 gallon with plants and drift wood 2 1/2 feet long so now what too much they freak out when it goes on like i mean swimming into glass and all but they havent had a top with lights since i moved them into the 130 a month ago so what do you think now?
you're fine in terms of fish and light together.

200 wats on a 130 gal is like 1.5 watts per gal....so low to med plants should be ok depending on the types of bulbs in the fixture

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You're good.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yeah. since you ahve plants that will actually make use of that watage then yeah stick with it. At most I would suggest adding some real tall plants to give them shade. But over all they will get used to the extra brightness.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yeah. since you ahve plants that will actually make use of that watage then yeah stick with it. At most I would suggest adding some real tall plants to give them shade. But over all they will get used to the extra brightness
agreed

·
Registered
415 Posts
yeah. since you ahve plants that will actually make use of that watage then yeah stick with it. At most I would suggest adding some real tall plants to give them shade. But over all they will get used to the extra brightness
agreed
thank you all

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
depends i have 210w on my 135g, the plants are growing good!
This is correct.

The high lighting is commonly bought because of plants, not for Pygo's only.
210 W is a good lighting for a planted 135 gallon tank but usually that setup also needs a pressurized CO2 to get awesome growth and minimum algae trouble.
And Pygo's do well in that lighting.

Harry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts