Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been testing my tanks for various levels ( ammonia,nitrates,nitrites)I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.2 of my tanks have 0 ammonia levels,save nitrite levels,but high nitrate levels.1 of my tanks has 0.50 ammonia level,save nitrite level,but high nitrate level.Can anyone give me some advice on what to do and what might be causing this?These tanks have been established for a long time.The ph in all these tanks is between 6 and 7.I can get you an exact reading if that would be helpful.Thanks.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
How often do you do water changes? Do you have a UGF? Check the nitrate level of your water before you put it in the tank. Some tap water already has high levels of nitrate. Make sure you don't have food laying around.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
nitrates are going to be higher than the others because it is the end product of all the bacteria doing their job, the only way to get rid of nitrates is through water changes, so if nitrates is high do bigger water changes or do them more often, if the others are high you need more filtration

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help...I have only been taking about 10% a week on water changes...maybe about 30% would be more of the right amount

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
30-35%, always work to me!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I do 30% water change every other week. Plus the waters good for your Moms flower graden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts