Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a few white spots on one of my fish after upping temp to ~84 (fish got a bit more itchy as well). So, decided to go with salt first. But, decided to check everything and amonia, nitrite, and nitrate all normal in big tank (now have nitrite showing up in smaller tank which is established/cycled ??? , small amounts but.....), BUT, KH ~190 and pH ~8.2-8.3. Seems kinda out of bounds doesnt it? Have not done KH and pH tests on smaller tank yet, but will in the morning. No fish freaking out or anything....except the pleco is a bit more active in searching out food (a bit frantic), could be because its late. Also noticed white rocks looking a little brownish, just a slight tint. I figured that to be from the malaysian drift wood I added a week or so ago, from the stuff that didnt come out after soaking.

So, is my tank going to hell or what? If I have to move ALL of these guys in my isolation tank at once, all hell is going to break loose. Talk about over stocked

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
The white spots sound like a fungus and should clear up with the salt. I have heard when you raise the temp that high there is a greater chance for a fungus to appear. I used Black water extract and some of my rocks turned a little brown so that could be the tannins in the wood.
The only thing I would worry about is if the fungus didnt clear up in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Ich is more like pieces of salt than white spots. and I always thought if the temp was 82 or above you would never see ich?
thats waht i was leaning at it is recomended when treating for various diseaes including this one to turn your temp up ... so the temp wouldt be the caseu of this problem ... try checking water conditions maybe overfeeding ar lack of WC could be affecting this? :eek:oo:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you can get ich at these temperatures, the itchy bit makes me think of ich.
but don't dispare, because you can get medicines which treat both ich and fungus at the same time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
water changes are frequent (never more than 2 weeks apart). And the spots are like little salt crystals on the fins. Smaller tank looked much worse than bigger tank this morning: tetra had them everywhere. Symptoms appear to be gone in main tank, but will continue to treat. Treating smaller tank with meds. Oh, and the main tank (the Ps) they were breathing kinda heavy last night, constant panting. Today that is gone as well.

I figured it was ich, thats why I was checking water parameters, figured something must be stressing the fish.-
That KH and pH seem quite high dont they? Or, should I just leave it?
- Doesnt seem to be bothering the fish much, and I dont want to get into a chemical induced disaster
And, I'm about 90% sure the rock coloration is from the tanins......same exact color as what leached out when I soaked the wood before I put in tank. Just trying to give all the info I can.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is white spot - ich - and you should treat if you are not already doing that, and the problem will go away quite easily.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
ya it is ich. When it showed up in my tank I raised the temp to 84, and added salt 5 tablespoons per gallon. it was gone in a few days and hasnt returned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.