Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an ammonia and nitrite tester. do i really need others? what are they? ph and nitrate? my fish seem fine; no weird behavior. i got 1 piece of driftwood and fake plants. whisper 3. o yea, also, should i get bubbles or air stone or w/e. sorry i asked that in someone elses thread. ty

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
PH, KH, GH, and Nitrate would be good additional ones to have so you know how your water is doing.

G

·
In fact after cycling is over, month ish tops. The others Jerry mentioned are more important to me. Minus the GH it doesn't really concern me. After cycling providing you don't add more huge fish or way overfeed the ammonia and nitrite should remain unmeasurable amounts.

Its not that expensive to get a complete kit. They last ages and could come in use, especially if you see problems of some sort!

· Registered
146 Posts
i'm familiar with ph, nitrate, nitrites but the kh and gh, i have no idea. your ph scale is from 1-14 with 7 being neutral and 1 being extremely acidic such as sulfuric acid in batteries. extreme alkaline can have the same affects as acid if extremly high. a good safe number to start out with is 7. nitrites(a toxin to fish) are converted into nitrates by aerobic bacteria that colonize in your tank. the nitrates in turn will be used by live plants and algae as a source of food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.