Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I use slightly cooler water when I do water changes: it doesn't affect the my reds, but the cories in their tank become really horny because of that (would be nice if they spawned in my piranha tank, but so far no luck yet...)

In general, a temperature mismatch of one or two degrees is nothing to worry about (in fact, breeders do use much cooler water to trigger breeding behaviour with a number of tropical fish: mimicking the rainy season), but for your average weekly water change, try to match as closely as possible.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I try and put in a little colder than what it feels like inside the tank. When you feel waterflow, you can feel the temp slightly colder then if you stick your hand in the bucket its being poured in.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I try to match as close as possible. Most of the time I let my buckets of water sit out for a few hours to match the temp of the room which is about the temp of the tank -2 degrees

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would alway try to keep the water at the same temp or a little warmer. I once accidently killed an 18" clown knife when the warm water I was filling with changed to cold and it died from shock. Now I sit there and monitor the water as it fills, which takes around 5 hours for the tanks I have. I change 25-40% every two weeks.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Must be the same temp...as close as possible!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
I use a stick on therometer and run it under the water so that theres no guesing involved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
bgshortys said:
I try to match as close as possible. Most of the time I let my buckets of water sit out for a few hours to match the temp of the room which is about the temp of the tank -2 degrees
I also do this, except i let the buckets sit for 24hrs (because i heard that makes some of the chemicals in tap water evaporate) and i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.