Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I tried doing a 25% water change today, and it was a disaster, I am going to have to do a 100% water change because the water got so dirty and murky. I bought the second gravel syphon thats supposed to clean the gravel to, but its sh*t. Can anybody explain the proper way to do a water change?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just set the tank up about 2 weeks ago, and when I trired to do it, it has been a huge disaster, I doubt ill do it very often now.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I only use buckets for my water changes. And I know it's primitive, but it works nonetheless. Just empty out a coiuple of buckets full, and replace it with fresh (and if necessary: treated!) water. It's a little time-consuming, but hey, it works your biceps and pleases your piranha's

Your problem may be that just simply splashed the water into the tank, stirring up lots of dirt from the gravel, thus clouding the water. Just pour the water into the tank gently - you can see if the flow reaches the bottom or not, and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, the piranhas were in it, as soon as the water heated up i got my little one in there, then a couple days later I added a few more.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont really know what cycling is, but I added the salt, dechlorinator and all that stuff and it ran for about 48 hours before it was completely heated good enough

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cycling is when you allow your tank to build up enough beneficial bacteria to kill ammonia and nitrate which are bacteria in the tank that can be harmful to fish if high enough levels are reached.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can still do water changes, but never again will I attempt to vacuumm the gravel, Ill buy new gravel first

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Well you might want to put your piranhas in a diiferent tank while you change gravel. Also, wash the gravel out before you put it into your tank.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was only joking about buying new gravel, I'd go broke, I need like 3 25 pound bags of it just to put a nice layer in the bottom.

·
Registered
384 Posts
man u better hope the high ammonia dont kill your p's then u got to go through the nitrates going up putting a lot of stress on your fish maybe u should of thrown a couple of cheap tropical fish in the tank to cycle it b4 u put the p's in but good luck and i hope your p's pull through the cycling

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
You do know that the bacteria is in the gravel?? Leave the gravel alone until your tank cycles. If you keep messing with it while the tank is trying to cycle it will make the process take longer.

There are many threads on this site about cycling a tank I would suggest you read them.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I think he was concerned because he stirred up debris and he thinks there isnt supposed to be any, am I right? Its fairly natural for the tank to be semi cloudy after tank cleanings, it will clear up in a hour

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I know in the future before I get my fish to cycle my tank in advance to prevent harm to my fish I feel so bad for my Riley

·
Registered
13 Posts
jimbo, i was in the same situation a couple years ago. DO NOT mess with the water. your bacteria has not broken down in ur tank yet. it's clumped into one large particle and ur filter cannot handle it. the cloudyness is just a site for sore eyes, it will go away, but if u keep changing the water it'll get worse and worse, either let it sit for a week or try Kent Pro Clear for freshwater, works overnight, it breaks down the large clump into small clumps so ur filter can handle it. i put that stuff in one day and the next day it was crystal clear and i knew it worked because my filter cartridges had gunk and sludge and stuff. But yeah, don't do anymore water changes, let the bacteria form, it may smell a bit, but it'll clear it, leave the gravel and everything alone. peace

sav

1 - 18 of 18 Posts