Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been real big on water changes and need to start getting on top of them. How much should I change each time I change it? How often should I do a water change?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
You should check you nitrAte levels, they may be really high.
My typical routeen is 10-25% every week, more for my shoals and less for the single species tanks.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i usually take out 30gal every week from a 125 gal it seems to do the trick :nod:

·
Registered
384 Posts
a small amount every week is great, but if you have a large tank you could take out a large amount of water every few weeks and be just fine. If you have a python it's much easier, if not, buckets suck dick, so every few weeks a large water change is just fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
scrapedogg said:
If you have a python it's much easier, if not, buckets suck dick, so every few weeks a large water change is just fine.
I have a python and I think it works very well sucking out water from the tank. However, I still use a bucket to hold tap water and add dechlorinator before pouring it back to my tank.

How do you dechlorinate water without a bucket?

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
30-35% weekly...
!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Samuel said:
How do you dechlorinate water without a bucket?
yeah, was just about to post that. from what i understood this guy used a python to drain and then added fresh tap water into the tank first, then added the dechlorinator into the tank.

do any of you do that? i would assume that the chlorine/chem/minerals/metals would be harmful even for that short amount of time depending on how much water was replaced/changed.

i've heard about those automatic waterchangers but didnt know if they used clean water w/o the metals/chlorine/etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts