Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have just got a 60g tank after being messed aound alot by my lfs.

anyway ill get to the point,. i want to drill a hole in the bottom of my tank and fit a water release valve type thingy to make my water changes easier, basically i want to fit it so that i can put a bucket under the tank in the stand then turn on the valve and then turn it off when the bucket is full.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is a very bad idea. Let's just say the valve snapped off while you were turning it. I don't think you'll have 12 5 gallon buckets lined up to catch all the water. The other problem is that you'll pull gravel/sand down with it. Just buy a Python water change hose and you'll be set. Even at 25% weekly that's only like 12 gallons or so.

G

·
galland said:
That is a very bad idea. Let's just say the valve snapped off while you were turning it. I don't think you'll have 12 5 gallon buckets lined up to catch all the water. The other problem is that you'll pull gravel/sand down with it. Just buy a Python water change hose and you'll be set. Even at 25% weekly that's only like 12 gallons or so.
[snapback]869390[/snapback]​
Yeah I'd agree, it something elso to cause trouble. Maybe just the odd drip now and again!

And as said you want to be cleaning up whilst syphoning out water. Its the best time to suck out fish and food waste. Get a gravel cleaner like a Python and clean gravel/sand as you are taking out water. No point in using the idea you had when you will need to clean the gravel as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true i see what you mean by cleaning the gravel

if i did it id have a clear pipe attached to the top of the valve inside the tank which will be the height of 75% of the tank so if it did break it would only empty out what was above the head of the pipe.

how does the gravel vac work, dosnt it attached to a tap, if thats the case its a bti of a pain as the taps are quite far from my tank hence why i was thinking of doing this cheers for your input.

G

·
There is a Python that attaches to your sink faucet, but like you say its not appropriate for me either. I just use a normal gravel vac and a bucket and hump them round the house!

Just basically a tube connected to a pipe. You create a syphon to a bucket and gently disturb the gravel with the tube ( mine is 2ft long, 2ft deep tank). Or hover above sand and it picks up tiny bits of crap and food. Sucking out into your bucket, as well as the water containing nitrates! Then replace with fresh.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what usually do just syphon it to a bucket its just hassle having to do it that way do you usually get alot of crap on the bottom from p's, iv only ever owned smaller tanks so maintaining this one wil be a bit different just trying to make it as easy as possible.

G

·
The other Python method comes in like a 50ft length and it is deffo the easiest method. Its about 50 quid over here though for the 50 ft one. But other than that just the manual heavy lifting way for me. A pain but needs doing. I have 5 tanks too so lots of lifting going on! I do consider no spills python idea but having hoses running round all the house, the gf would kill me!

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
What you are referring to is a gate valve. They are great. Not sure if i would do it on a 60 gallon, my python is all i need, but on my 180 gallon i plan on a gate valve.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
I don't have one hooked up yet but will place it on the intake before water enters wet/dry and have a hose hooked up to gatevalve and place hose where my sump pump is in basement. This way i just turn the valve and water will exit tank into sump. It all depends on how you drill the tank on how you set it up. My 180 has 2 predrilled holes on the bottom and 3 in the back. It will be easier to use gate valve if using stand pipes this way the siphon won't stop as if on top of the water. Personally i am thinking about plugging the bottom holes and drilling two more in the back for a much cleaner look. Maybe one in the middle of tank in the back for the gatevalve. I am still exploring ideas. No final decision as of yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts