Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always do weekly water changes, but I was thinking of a tank set up that wouldn't require them. Live plants use fish waste for nutrients and food, and plecos get rid of left over food bits and excess algae. So if someone were to add the right amount of live plants, pleco(s) and keep the filtration at an optimum level, would frequent water changes really be necessary?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
What did you mean by "filtration at an optimum level". Having a wet/dry would be the only thing I would accept on pertaining to your method. I cant seem to agree with any other forms of filteration without water change..

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
RhomZilla said:
What did you mean by "filtration at an optimum level". Having a wet/dry would be the only thing I would accept on pertaining to your method. I cant seem to agree with any other forms of filteration without water change..
well said

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fault, bad wording. All I meant was having wet/dry filtration and making sure any media was changed regularly. Its not really my method though, it was just a thought.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
You re forgetting the poop and pee. They eat all that stuff but they still have to crap it out, that has to rot and produce ammonia that eventually ends up as nitrAte....which is then scooped out during the water change. If you want "premium filtration", grab a wet/dry but you will still need to do water changes to get rid of the nitrAte.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I dont think that plans will be able to keep up with the amounts of wastes that p's produce. I think that is what you were meaning to use to get rid of nitrates, eh?

~Dj

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you are talking about a balanced eco system in your tank, it is possible. I brought one of those eco spheres in those airplane catalogues 7 years ago. It was an enclosed system in a glass sphere with algae and "bugs" It lasted a whole 2 years and then the algae died and I think everything else died also.

But it is a tricky balancing act.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the exact setup you guys are talking about. I have a 75g, with six amazon swords, two plecos, and five five inch rbp. I probably could get away with skipping water changes every other week. But you should see how much crap vacuums out each and every week. I mean, the water in the bucket is dark brown! I also want my p's to grow as big as possible as fast as possible. And they are!!!! I also use the diatom filter after the water change. It helps!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
water change is a must ..helps with there growth and you get rid of unwanted debris especially with pleco,they are shitting machines

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have a little eco system too: 2 crayfish, 6 or so apple snails, 2 plecos, etc. but it still has crap in the gravel when i do a water change. i do weekly changes, lately twice a week cause my emp400 isnt flowing right.

G

·
I have been reading a few sites about planted tanks.
it seems even the tanks that are heavily planted still require a water change every 2 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.