Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question,
When i do water changes the water I use to fill the tank back up is very basic (alkaline) and i dotn want to throw off the PH too much. It is always at 6.8 - 7, and the tap water is roughly 8, is there anything i can do to make the tap water a little more nuetral as I add it to the tank????

·
Registered
118 Posts
well im guessing you have piranhas, so put some driftwood in the tank and that should help lower the ph, what size tank is sit

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you can buy some powder which sets the PH to 7.0, check out my tutorial (how to set up a piranha tank) to find out its name.
you should be able to get it from your local fish shop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 55 with 2 reds in it. I know, i know 2 reds are bad (the 3rd died in a move and was the largest about 7"
) but they have been living fine for over 1 year and look like they are ready to breed. Thanks Innes ill check it out

G

·
yea i agree with innes go get some pH down... the powder version is alot cheaper and treats more gallons.... i use this for my water changes

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
you guys really shouldnt mess with that stuff, if you dont do it perfect you risk killing your fish from pH swings, its best to leave it alone rather than mess with it, if your pH is 8 or so you will be fine more than 8 and you may want to use peat moss its much safer and is cheaper

·
Registered
209 Posts
Damn! Mine always seems to be ~8.2-8.4. Fish dont seem to mind, but it still freaks me out, and I dont want to have to start battling swinging pHs along with everything else

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
you guys really shouldnt mess with that stuff, if you dont do it perfect you risk killing your fish from pH swings, its best to leave it alone rather than mess with it, if your pH is 8 or so you will be fine more than 8 and you may want to use peat moss its much safer and is cheaper
Nate, the one I am suggesting simply sets the tank at 7.0, it will raise or lower PH.
It is not like the PH up, and PH down where you could spend hours getting it right.
In about 8 years of using this method I have never had a problem with it.
It really is like magic.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
oh, well thats a different story then, but you still could have swings from that stuff, if you dont add enough it will gradually swing back to where it was prior to it

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
My tap and tank are around 8 and I have had no problems. I Dont want to mess with it either, too much work. Right now I use a python and just suck up the crap and about 25% of the water and then fill it up with a little declorinator and I am done. Takes me about 15 minutes tops. I dont want anything to do with the bucket thing and testing the ph in the bucket before I add it to my tank. Way too much work.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
"but you still could have swings from that stuff, if you dont add enough it will gradually swing back to where it was prior to it"

If you do regular water changes and use it every time you will always have a PH of 7.0 or damn close to it.

"Takes me about 15 minutes tops. I dont want anything to do with the bucket thing and testing the ph in the bucket before I add it to my tank. Way too much work."

you don't seem to understand the nature of this product, it sets the PH at 7.0, so you don't need to test it, it will be at 7.0.
it takes as long to add as the dechlorinator, but your fish will be happier than without it.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Innes, You are right, I probably dont understand it fully. And you are also probably correct that my p's would probably be happier in a ph of 7. But I have spoken to a few people in my area who have had p's much longer than I have and know a lot more than me who said that a ph of 8 is fine and one would breed reds in a ph of 8.3. All I am saying is that I think my fish are doing fine and that I have them in a higher ph.
Oh, And I add the dechlorinator while the tank is filling directly from the tap via the python. I could be wrong but I dont think you can do that with this product.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
as far as pH goes it is not extremely important especially with the red bellys most are locally bred and not live caught and therefore will adapt easily to pH levels that are not of their exact reccomended requiments. The key thing is ballancing.... or maintaining a consitant pH ... fish do not like fluxuations .. so as long as your pH is withing reason and its parameters do not flucuate then you should be ok.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Thats cool, Im not sure about adding it straight to the tank, but I can't see why not - you might want to use a jug or something to disolve it in first though.
I was only trying to help phantom45f with his question, and if it helps you then great!
I can't see a PH of 8 being deadly to piranhas, and I can well believe they have been known to breed in these conditions, I just perfer to keep my PH on all my tanks at a constant 7.0.
I also agree that adding PH up and PH down is a difficult job which has too many risks for my liking (I would also ignore PH if it had to be done like that), but since the product does all this for me I am happy to use it and have ideal PH.

If only their was such a thing for nitrites, nitrates and ammonia!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts