Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fill a 125 with sand (hope 2 bags was enough but i don't think so). And I don't really have access to a hose or utility sink. So I was wondering if anyone has washed their sand in their bathtub...? Backing up the drain and clogging are obvious concerns...

·
Registered
573 Posts
no way dont do it. itll definately clog your bathtub... i actually use a bathtub in my method but only to use water and keep slashing contained. the way i clean my sand is in one of those big cheese balls plastic containers. i fill it up halfway with sand then fill with water, stir, empty water. repeat 30 or so times until its clear then dump in the tank then repeat the process until you got all the sand you need.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just get some buckets and halfway fill them with water in the tub(sand should be in bucket)...Slosh around the sand with your hand and have running water going into your bucket...This procedure is much similiar as if you were rinsing rice in the sink...Keep sloshing the sand around until the water is clear

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
yes the drian will definatly plug... like the other guys said it would be better to do it out side... I would recommend not doing it on a lawn though because that tends to make a mess.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Yeah, listen to the guys, it will royally screw up your tub's drain. Do it outside, I'm going to use sand on my 110gal which I'm getting later this week, I'm using the pillow case method, Ill let you know how it goes.

·
This f*cking Guy!
9,420 Posts
Indeed, not a good way to clean it.
Go to Home Depot and you can buy those 5 Gallon Bucks Cheap, One of there 50lb Bag fits in the bucket.
Its cheaper in the long run to rinse the sand out like that then to use to the bathtub and pay someone to clean your tank

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
NO DONT USE THE TUB!.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did, didnt do a thing, put the bucket over the drain so most of the larger stuff sits in the tub aroudn the bucket, then blast the water wtih the bucket off the drain so the sand is blown to the outside, scoop up with a rag or something. Then again, I rent so I wasnt too worried...

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
SMITZ71 said:
Just get some buckets and halfway fill them with water in the tub(sand should be in bucket)...Slosh around the sand with your hand and have running water going into your bucket...This procedure is much similiar as if you were rinsing rice in the sink...Keep sloshing the sand around until the water is clear

[snapback]894832[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
the best way (imo) to put sand in a tank is buy pool filter sand. It is about 10-15$ for 50 lbs, and one quick washing took care of it. Took me 10 mins to wash it. Sand all settled in 30 mins once in the tank. Its the only way i would go.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Washing the sand with a hose outside would be great...but it's about 2 degrees in Chicago right now.

We all can't have Cali weather.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I washed mine in the tub, I also rent so I am not as worried. I just put a strainer over the drain and set the bucket on top of the strainer. The strainer kept solid sand from going down the drain and I used a wet dry vac to suck up the big stuff. I didn't notice any real change in water drainage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts