Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i have 2 whiper 60s on my 75 gallon, im thinking about upgrading to a canister here at the beginning of next semester, I only have 1 rohm in there so I shouldnt need massive filtration. But what are the advantages to these canisters, also which kind should i get and what is the least costly.

If you think that I dont need to upgrade that my 2 whisper 60s are good or more than enought please let me know.

Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Go with a fluval 404 or xp4 or xp3. Canisters I recommend because is does a very good job filtering, quiet, water movement, and only have to clean it every 1-3 month. For a 75 gal, always a canister is a good idea with a HOB w/ bio wheel.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay so should i get magnum 350, xp3, fluval 404?

If you do choose to give your opinion, could you please explain why you said that one, or why you wouldnt choose the others.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Actually the fluval 404 has been replaced with the fluval 405...Basically same filter different name....I would go with the fluval...Fill it with biomax and be done....Advantages are they are really quiet,,easy to clean and hold a lot more bio media...not to mention it gets those hang on filters off of your tank and cleans up the overall look in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I have never used the fluval 405 or 404 but i have a xp3. The xp3 is very easy to use and its done a good job for me.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Everyone always wonders why my water is crystal clear-It's the magnum 350's I use-I'm a huge fan of this filter-Highly recomended by me!!!!!!!!! But then again it will depend on what you would like to do fiter wise-Bio wise-I like the rena series-Mechanical-you wont beat a magnum-

·
Registered
75 Posts
I *just* picked up an xp3, to add to my two magnum 350s on a 90 gal. What a great filter. East to install, some cool design features (like the hose shut-off), big baskets for whatever media you want, and my water looks clearer than ever. Thinking about adding another one and ditching the HOBs entirely. For $100.00, it seems thus far like a great filter.

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
okay what ur gonna want to do... is print out a price of the canister filter from www.petco.com or www.petsmart.com and take it in for the price match, you will save ur self about 120$

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o for sure ive found all of them for around 100 bucks, just waiting for more input on here for people to help me to decide.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the fluval 405 is for upto 100 gal aquariums, the xp3 is for upto 175 gal aquariums, does that mean the xp3 is better?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
the fluval 405 is for upto 100 gal aquariums, the xp3 is for upto 175 gal aquariums, does that mean the xp3 is better?
I wouldnt say that, its more personal preference. lets just say , "You pay what you get". I personally think fluval is the way to go but many people like the xp3 or xp4 better.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Whatever you go with don't buy a Jebo/Odyssea in my opinion...They are inexpensive but a pain in the butt.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
heres the deal.
Magnums are great for mech filtration. however fail in area of Bio. Unless you get the deluxe with the biowheels.
Rena VS fluval. I've heard more storys about fluvals failing and leaking then I have about Renas. overall the internal design of either is similar and flow amounts are going to also be similar. Most all cans in the same class have the same flow rate. the 4 teir (Xp3,flu 405, etc etc) all get around 125-150ish GPH ACTUAL flow. the 300+ GPH flow rates some of them claim is for an unloaded cannister. And in real world really means nothing.
So for those two choices I'd say flip a coin. Personally I would go with the Rena. In my observation ppl that I would seek advice from tend to be using either Renas or Eheims.
Altho I did used to own a Fluval 402 that we got a good 10 years usage out of.

Whatever you go with don't buy a Jebo/Odyssea in my opinion...They are inexpensive but a pain in the butt.
So far my Odyssea CFS4 has worked flawlessly. However I have heard of some quality issues on others. Its hit and miss.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for laying out the facts like that for me sunshine.

im buying it after christmas, so if any one else has more stories hit me up! thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
yeah thanks shine....im looking in to a new filter as well so i will keep that in mind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts