Piranhas Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i seem to read this thread everytime i get a new p.. i remember all the information, i just like to double check for some reason..

·
Registered
197 Posts
I STARTED FEEDING MY BABY REDS SOME OF THE CYCLID GOLD (RED PELLETS) AND I THINK THEY GOT HOOKED ON THEM. THEY ARE ALREADY REACHING THE 3.5 '' IN LENGTH. I'M GOING TO START WITH THE TRAINING YOU ADVISED TO TRY TO GET THEM INTERESTED IN OTHER FOOD SOURCES. GREAT READING BY THE WAY!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi All,

This is just what i'm looking for! I will have to invest in some pellets and add some different foods into their tank as they've lived off sprats most of their lives according to the pet shop.

What are the best pellets to get?

Thanks again!!

·
2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
4,533 Posts
Great Info. and for a newbie I will make sure to follow your info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't kept piranhas long(about 1 month) but I have researched them a fair bit before buying and my own personal experiences and what I have read seem to indicate you are right. I bought my 3 RBP's at around 1-1.5" and they are now about 2-2.5" and right away I started giving them live feeders(always quarantined first), frozen prawns, earthworms, flake food, frozen fish, and frozen blood worms and I have not had them reject a single food even once, so I would have to agree that it is easier to train smaller juvenile piranhas(at least Pygocentrus Nattereri) to eat a more varied diet. P.S. that thread was a very interesting read, good work : )

·
Registered
15 Posts
ace post exactally what i came here to find out i've been feeding my rbp's earthworms for ages and to stop them buriing themselfs in the gravel i use a peice ov cotton to suspend them half way in the tank and the piranha just seem to spit out eny cotton they get with the worm!

·
Registered
340 Posts
cool, I did the same thing w/my oscar and he's really colorful. BTW another good way to get colorful fish is to dye the food.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm new to piranha and I'm starting a shoal of five soon. Well, i know how to feed them now. Thankx to you all and thank the 'one' for this site! I visit it every day.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
very well. i have tried the training the p to eat. i like the part about fatten the fish becasue they is common sense but many of all neglect that concept. also the idea that you stick to the food until the fish constantly eat the food before switching food is the best advise i have ever heard. this man deserves an award for knowledge. tell us more we are listening.

·
Registered
403 Posts
"cool, I did the same thing w/my oscar and he's really colorful. BTW another good way to get colorful fish is to dye the food."

I think putting DYE in the food is definetly not a good thing. How bout we start pumping your food full of red dye and see if you change colors? Or maybe your one of the people that inject dye into your fish to make them more colorful, not caring for their actual health.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is a great post. But I've never had a problem with my red bellies regecting food. I've had them for a couple weeks and feed them all different kinds of food. I have another post saying what I gave them. Maybe they eat whatever I give them because I got them at such a young age and started them on this early?

As for the dye. It makes me mad just thinking about it. My lfs dyed some albino oscars blue and some pink and doubled the pirce telling me that they are rare. I went home and checked it out and found the truth. Now I won't another animal of any kind from that place. There's a trust issue with me and where I buy my animals. They only thing I got from there that stayed alive for a period of time are my parakeets witch I still have.

All and all great post and I love any information anyone can give me. Thanks.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts