Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lookig for the best deal on tanks, and the best i could get was a tank/stand deal at walmart. I have a 10 gallon that i bought rom them, but the new one is a 55 gallon. Well i was putting togather the stand and my puny drill kept twisting off the hads of the screws it came with. screws that also were used to attach other boards (some weird screw and my explanation just makes it more confusing). So there is no way in hell i trust this stand and i am taking it back in the morning. But i am wondering about the tank. Has anyone had a good or bad tank experience with a walmart tank? Should i take the tank back too? Thanks

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
pamonster said:
I was lookig for the best deal on tanks, and the best i could get was a tank/stand deal at walmart. I have a 10 gallon that i bought rom them, but the new one is a 55 gallon. Well i was putting togather the stand and my puny drill kept twisting off the hads of the screws it came with. screws that also were used to attach other boards (some weird screw and my explanation just makes it more confusing). So there is no way in hell i trust this stand and i am taking it back in the morning. But i am wondering about the tank. Has anyone had a good or bad tank experience with a walmart tank? Should i take the tank back too? Thanks
I've heard from alot of people that wal-mart aquariums and accessories are perfectly fine, and IMO they always are cheaper than LFSes.

Just dont buy fish. Wal Mart fish are baaaaaad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
*hey are those heaters fully submersible? it has a waterline so i didnt even want to put it under. i dont recall it saying on the box.

*that 55g tank is cheaper by a few bucks. which you can use for accessories or fish.

ive seen the tank itself for just $109.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd build a stand yourself, if I were you. You can make a nice beefed up stand out of 2x4's and 3/4 inch plywood, that way you can customize it however you want, add in a shelf underneath for a feeder tank, or whatever tickles your fancy. Paint those babies black, and it looks pretty sharp, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a store bought one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quick Question, I know that wal mart deals aqua tech goods mostly, is that a part of all glass aquariums? just curious if anyone knew since we're on the topic. Oh yeah, and about buying fish from wal mart, yeah, they're quarantined like 90 percent of the time, it really makes me confident about buying from them when they take off the quarantine sign, and all of their fish still obviously have ich. It's ridiculous, I think the requirement for working in the fish dep't is like you have to have had a goldfish for at least a week before, probably something equivalent anyway.

·
.pocketful of sunshine.
16,830 Posts
pamonster said:
Well i was putting togather the stand and my puny drill kept twisting off the hads of the screws it came with. screws that also were used to attach other boards (some weird screw and my explanation just makes it more confusing).
Anytime a product comes with screws to attach things together...NEVER USE A DRILL!! They are only meant to be screwed manually with a screw driver. Drills are too powerful for the screws that they give you.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
scrapedogg said:
Quick Question, I know that wal mart deals aqua tech goods mostly, is that a part of all glass aquariums? just curious if anyone knew since we're on the topic. Oh yeah, and about buying fish from wal mart, yeah, they're quarantined like 90 percent of the time, it really makes me confident about buying from them when they take off the quarantine sign, and all of their fish still obviously have ich. It's ridiculous, I think the requirement for working in the fish dep't is like you have to have had a goldfish for at least a week before, probably something equivalent anyway.
i doubt anyone working with fish at walmart have ever had fish, or maybe there wouldn't be so many dead ones floating around

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got my 29g from walmart and i have no problems with it including the heater because im using it in my p tank and it holding the temp just fine.

As for fish my wally world just got new tanks for the fish. Thats where i got my first fish from and they are still alive and 2 of my plecos (they like to hide all the time). All i know is that they are fat and healthy. :smile:

I use cast iron stands not attracting but they are doing the job for right now. So with my experience i never had a bad one as of yet. (wondering if because i got them the day they got them)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ms_Nattereri said:
pamonster said:
Well i was putting togather the stand and my puny drill kept twisting off the hads of the screws it came with. screws that also were used to attach other boards (some weird screw and my explanation just makes it more confusing).
Anytime a product comes with screws to attach things together...NEVER USE A DRILL!! They are only meant to be screwed manually with a screw driver. Drills are too powerful for the screws that they give you.
Yeah No kidding! Those walmart Stands SUCK. A drill is a HORRIBLE idea... But as for the tanks, they are fine. I had two of them, sold em to friends, and they are both still in perfect condition. But the stands... BOO URNS

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey p-45 all my cichlids came from walmart and hell they are all still alive and healthy the trick is you find out when the shipments come in then snatch them up before they get put into those nice and disease free tanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.