Piranhas Forum banner

Waiting period before adding piranhas?

418 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  MONGO  
#1 ·
I have a brand new tank that i will be setting up for some caribe. Once the tank is set up and running, is a week long enough for it to run to be safe? Should i add some bacteria? What are some ideas to have a safe system within a week?

#3 ·
a week is a short peroid.....some ppl add amonia daily to bring their paramiters up to get stable faster,,((fisheless cycle)),,,,,others add bio-spiria to boost it faster,,,,the only way to do it right i think is to check the water parameters to make shure that it has spiked,,,amonia....nitrite etc.....once its calmed down then add ur fish!!! just my two sence!!!! ppl will respond to this thread who are alot more familure on this topic,,,and give you good direction,,,another good place to start is to go around on this sight that is filled with all the info u'll need to get started on your tank set-ups,,,,and any other question u may have!!!!!!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
i added my 12 baby rb's 5 days after i set up my tank, but had added a couple bottles of the cheap sh*t (cycle), and some gravel from a notha cycled tank, have not lost any to water conditions,i had really high amonia levels, i used amonia lock to change my ''bad'' amonia to ''good'' amonia, isnt that the way it goes, iv had to be on costent watch and watching the fish, went through a short period of my fish all being at the top of the water, with there heads sticking out, breathing hard, not eneough oxgen, in my water, the sponge i had put on my filter pipe to keep babies from being sucked up, was gloging my filter so my bio wheel wasnt turning and it was only running on half strenth, as soon as i added a pump and air stone ,cleaned filter sponge(with tank water, so not to kill good bacteria).. been doing my reading.lol,after i fixed theses problems, things have chnged alot, no more cloudy tank, water smells good, and amonia, is way down, so its easer to just waite and cycle your tank before u add your P's, just my 2 cents man..

#6 ·
I just finished cycling my new tank and it took me 4 weeks with fish( a few goldfish and tetras) to cycle my 55G tank with an EMP400. I would not rush it and put your caribes' in before you finish cycling your tank. The last thing you would want to do is kill/stress your new prized P's. I've tried "cycle" before and it is junk IMO, they say the only good way of speeding up your cycle is to buy the refrigerated "Bio-Spira". basically, if it is not stored in a refrigerator, it wont do much good because there is no living bacteria in it. I think all that "other" cycle stuff just help the new forming bacteria grab hold of your media, but don't quote me on that one( I'm no expert
) anyway, good luck with your new caribes and welcome to the site

#7 ·
what you need to do is add some amonia and get test kits to check for ammo, nitRATES and NITRITES, first your ammo levels will rise, then drop once they form into nitrates, then those will drop and turn to nitrites, once you have o ammo and nitrates levels and you have a reading for nitrites your tank should be good, it could take any amount of time based on size, and filtration, but do not add your fish in if there is ammonia, there is a possibility of sickness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.