Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I have calibrated this fish from the image. Vern caught this fish in Rio ***** and at the time we both thought the fish was close to 2 feet long. The fish was measured at 23.5 SL, later I modified it to 23.5 TL as I did not think Vern measured it right and put the wrong length markings. A Piranha Fury member a month or so ago used a technique similar to the type I used to check out that S. rhombeus size. He used Vern's middle finger as a guide to size using his own finger length to approximate the length. Since I have the actual jaw of the fish here at OPEFE, it was easy for me to measure it (2 inches TL) against the photo and where the jaw is situated. Knowing anatomy helps.
From this I subtracted a 1/4 inch from the jaw to allow for the snout length (these are approximation without having fish in front of me). I then calibrated 1 3/4 inches as a starter for length using the jaw marker minus the 1/4 inch. Then began to mark each line for 1 3/4. Below you can see the results. This photo is not the best to use for finding exact measurements, but it is interesting nonetheless to approximate a size.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Looks good to me. Nice big fish. Was it still alive as he was holding it? Or was it already dead? Just curious as to what type of bait is used to catch P's that big?

~~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
InSinUAsian Posted on May 11 2003, 09:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks good to me. Nice big fish. Was it still alive as he was holding it? Or was it already dead? Just curious as to what type of bait is used to catch P's that big?

~~Dj
He caught it with a spoon. Of course the fish was very dead when the photo was taken.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Judazzz Posted on May 12 2003, 04:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank, how did he catch such a fish with a spoon? Did the metal shimmering attract it? And how would a fish hold on to a spoon while it's being dragged closer?
Just wondering...
Didn't you ever fish with a spoon or know what it looks like? It is a long shiny metal with a treble hook on the end. Fishes like trout and salmon go for it. Piranas are no different.

Similar in appearance to this spinner (see JPEG below).

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I thought he was just messing with me. I felt so dumb/clueless I didnt respond. HaHaHa, not much fishing to do in Los Angeles. hahaha, I can fish in the aquaduct. LoL

~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
InSinUAsian Posted on May 12 2003, 08:12 PM
I thought he was just messing with me. I felt so dumb/clueless I didnt respond. HaHaHa, not much fishing to do in Los Angeles. hahaha, I can fish in the aquaduct. LoL

~Dj
There are those that wish they could fish and those that do fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.