Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys just get everything from the top, I noticed today if I dig all the way down, a ton of stuff comes up, but having a 125 gallon tank, if I did this for the whole bottom, my tank would be drained fully

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
with my 45gal MAC tank i do it in parts but my silver dollar 45gal. i get all in one night

i go all the way to the glass when i vac

do it in 3-6 parts......dont try to get it all done in one night

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Well if you want your gravel to be extra clean, just do vacuum every week. No problem although the whole water change (20-30 % per week) would be used for this.

But if you have plants (not fake ones though) then do not ever vacuum near their roots. Because plants do profit from that crap and if you have used substrate fertilization (bottom tabs etc.) these would be dissolved into the water column away from the roots. Many big plants are actually heavy root feeders.

Harry

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I syphon and continually fill the tank at the same time. Hence, the reason do rather large water changes weekly (45% - 70%). I do not have live plants in my tank, so I clean the entire gravel bed down to the glass.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
is gravel vacing so hard for you guys?? i borrow my buddy's python..but since i dont have any connections for it i just stick the end in my tank and siphon the water down my laundry room drain....the amount of time it takes me to do a gravel vac on my 80g....by the time i finished doing a THOROUGH vac water is about 50% drained...which is perfect...i have 2" of gravel on the base of my tank....just shove that vac in and wiggle it around...just get every spot u can...i do it all in one shot..takes me about an hour to gravel vac and fill it up

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not hard, takes me about 10 minutes, but if I dig all the way to the bottom of the glass, I would not be able to finish it all in one day.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
i do it in parts on my 50, i do half of the tank one day, and the other half the next day, but each time i do this, im doing a 30% water change, if the water gets too low before im done, i go refill the tank up to where it was originally and start from where i was, and then just replace watever else i took out....Next day same thing...takes me about 20-30 mins tops...

theres also a trick to make the sypon take out water slower, if u have the tube that has the water comming out lower than the inlet tube in the tank, the water will rush out faster, the more it is even with the inlet tube , the slower itll take out water, u should match it so it has just the right ammount of suction to take the crap out, and so u can go along ur way to clean more of the tank....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts