Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal. tank which was given to me, only there was no top with it. i was wondering if it would be ok to cut out a top made of plywood? my girlfriend suggested that the moisture might weigh it down and make it bowed in the center, or would this even be a problem? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i did this and it did bowe/bow(sp?) in the centre. get a thicker piece of wood cut to size and then cover it with that would look waterproof stuff that alot of tanks use. alot of tank lids have stick on covers to give them a 'pine' look or simular. thats what i have now done.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
what i used was plexiglass for my tops.that way the tank still can get light

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
I'd definately not use a plywood top just as is, plywood is treated with alot of chemicals (among them is arsenic I believe) which could leach out into the condensation that will form on it, and drop back into your tank. If you are going to use plywood you will need to treat it with epoxy to prevent water from seeping into it and potentially poisoning your fish.

A much better alternative is to go to a glass shop and get some glass cut to put above your tank. A plate of glass isn't too expensive and glass will work better than almost anything. Plexiglass will work as well, but it will bow and you'll need to flip it over every couple days.

·
Registered
252 Posts
what if you bought a peice of plywood and a thin peice of acrylic and glued them together to make one peice...put it on the tank with the acrylic peice facing down so any evaporation would wet only the acrylic part, the plywood would pretty much be support now...they would help each other, the ply would keep the acrylic from bending and the acrylic would keep arsenic or whatever is in ply, out of your tank...

would this solution work? seems like it should, i dont know if ive overlooked something tho..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just use a piece of acrylic. Buy a couple of small pieces. Chemically weld lips around the outside so it stays in place and gives you something to hold onto to lift it up. The lips will also keep it from falling off..

·
Registered
394 Posts
your just wasteing money buying plywood and pleix glass.... Glass is cheaper.... just go get some pieces of glass they charge like 2 dollars to cut it the way you want.... being to cheap well end up wasteing all your money... good luck

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
If you're not planning on making a canopy then I'd sugest you use glass, have two pieces cut to the size you need to cover both halves of the tank and you're good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.